My three new axies - is this one ok though?

freekygeeky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
axy-5.jpg

axy2-1.jpg

one of them seems to have his gills curled up... why is this..

Do you mean the melanoid with its (his? looks like a boy) gills turned back? I don't think it's a problem.

Do you mean the melanoid with its (his? looks like a boy) gills turned back? I don't think it's a problem.
yea that one. thank you. just want to make sure :)

They are lovely...are they named yet?....kids would like to suggest a Red Dwarf carry on!!

hehe!!! smudge is one... but still not sure - gotta watch them for a bit hehe!!

what is mating behaviour/hiarachy (sp) behaviour like btw?
They are lovely...are they named yet?....kids would like to suggest a Red Dwarf carry on!!

Hi Great looking pair,

I agree the melanoid looks good, was there something you were concerned with.

theone under teh wild tpe - seems to have is gills curled round... thats what i was concerned with - can you see?... the other black one is fine and the wild tpe is fine too - just the one under the wild type i worried with
Hi Great looking pair,

I agree the melanoid looks good, was there something you were concerned with.

I think he looks ok. I have a melanoid that had the same thing when I got him but when his gill "fronds" started growing back (aggressive tank mate at the store- I keep rescuing the poor things lol), they stopped curling. Now his gills are straight.

Hi Freeky Geeky,

If its a new additon, it may well just be a bit of stress.

They look great.

all good now!! :) all facing forward :D
onyl problem is the water!!! wont stay clear! tommorrow i am doing a lareg water change see if that helps. tried feeding out of tank - proved extreemly difficult.

Cloudy water is usually a sign of bacteria blooms.

How long has your tank been set up? Is it still cycling?

Usually, doing large water changes is not recommended. It won't help the cycling in the long run, and can cause a shock to the entire system, axolotls included. It's better to do frequent (daily, maybe twice daily) smaller water changes, such as 10%

:)

i dont think this is a problem at all

when i got mine
there was one in the shop
and it was similar

the woman said it was fine
and nothing to worry about :)

Lacey x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back