My tiger likes to be more in the water than land

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just finished about a month ago making a half water, half land terrarium for my female tiger salamander and it turned out good , now for the first weeks she was fine digging deep underground and all but all of a sudden for the passed 5 days she wants to be in the water all day, I would take her out and she would go right back in a few minutes later, she goes in and out of the water thru the rocks and eats healthy on land every 2 days and goes back in the water, in her old tank she had a water dish and she barely went in there, she is about 4 years old I've had her since she was a small larva, I am changing the filter to an intank one and I am waiting on a new background from eBay but there's the pic of the tank , I just want to know if it's normal behavior or can something be wrong, I feed her dusted crickets and the occasional pinky once a month, she won't eat earthworms even when she was a larva, the light is on for a few of hours a day it's not a heat lamp or anything, temperatures here range from 68—72 degrees, it's hot here in Miami, uploadfromtaptalk1405376797826.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Some tigers have more of an attraction to the water than others. A terrestrial adult does not need a half and half set up. I recommend going back to a water dish. Also, the light is not necessary and will probably do better without it. Try withholding the crickets and pinkies for a couple of weeks and introduce her to earthworms every couple of days. Most will eat them if hungry enough. I would cut back the pinkies to once every two to three months.

I don't have the answer to you question, but I noticed that you have one of those red and white decorations in your tank. I had two of them in my tank for a while as I thought they were tank safe, but they started to turn a blackish color, so I don't think they are.
Yours might be different, but I would keep any eye on it just incase. -Seth

I put her in a bigger enclosure because I plan on getting another tiger, I mean I don't see anything wrong with a 60% land and 40% water area, she gets in and climbs out fine from the water, I'll most likely get a tint for light fixture glass because she dashes a bit when I turn the light on, now she is currently under the ecoearth with her head poking out a little, I have tried to skip feedings for almost her to eat earthworms and she wouldn't touch them chopped or whole, I even killed a cricket and shook it on top of piece of chopped worm and she took both but spit them out ate the cricket,

I have had the red and white aquarium rocks for years and never had a problem with them

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

I have had the red and white aquarium rocks for years and never had a problem with them

OK then they are probably fine then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back