Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My tree frog update.

J

john

So I narrowed the species I have down to this. I have an ornate tree frog. Related closely to a peacock treefrog. There are almost identical except alittle coloration. I am currently running a 50W red-heat light and that keeps the temps perfect. The hotspot is like 83F and the coolest is like 65F which for my species, I found to be right on with the info I found. His name is Lenny. He sits in his water bowl at night a croaks. It sounds really weird, kinda like a peacock or a bird of some type. It isnt that loud so thank god for that. I think he has eaten some crickets but I am not sure. He looks healthy and happy. I am having trouble finding a solid screen top for my 20 gallon hex tank. Mine is that terra-top and it is velcro and when I pull it off, he freaks out alittle, either breathing harder, or last night when I opened it to pour in the crickets, he jumped out of his water bowl. I just dont want to stress him out, but it is the only top for the tank I have. Does anyone no a place online I might find a solid screen top for my tank. Just no velcro. thx again for all the help guys.

A

ajfr0ggy

Can you explain the differences in colouration?
You have to remember with leptopelis sp. that they are very variable in colour. L. vermiculatus (i,e the peacock) are green as juveniles and become brown as they age, especially with the females.

The fact he's singing is generally a good sign, a stressed frog is unlikely to sing.

Ajfr0ggy

J

john

Ya he seems to be ok now. He is all brown, no green. That is what led me to believe it was L. flavomaculatus. I did hours of research so I think I got it right. He seems happy and I think its all good.

J

john

Sure I can get some photos. All the pics I saw of L.vermiculatus had some green in them. And the pics I found of L.flavomaculatus had green only as juvies. Then straight brown. But if you've bread and taken care of them, mabye your right. I will post pics as soon as possible. Mine is definately not full-grown yet. I just havent taken any pictures yet cause I didnt want to stress him out. I will post some pics soon. Thx again man.

A

ajfr0ggy

Just seen your pics, it does look like L. vermiculatus.
People dont tend to take photos of them with adult colouration, strange, as most if not all will eventually become brown.

Ajfr0ggy

J

john

I see says me. Thx. I will be on the search for a green one. Mabye I'll have to search for L.flavomaculatus. Hopefully they will have some at the reptile show I am going to.

pollywog

Reaction score
The 2 species under discussion are so similar and with the blurrynes of the photo's and colouration and markings being so variable in these 2 species I would not be able to say for sure. Have you heard him call? The only real way to tell between the 2 species is to hear the call; vermiculatus sounds like a peacock, flavomaculatus sounds more cat like.

J

john

He sounds just like Gary the snail from SpongeBob. So I would say more like a cat. I guess it is L. flavomaculatus. Also, alittle off topic. Andrew does you company ship feeders insects to the USA. I need some locusts and snails and some common house flies.

(Message edited by nuggular on March 21, 2005)

M

mark

Are you trying to tell us you can't get hold of basic live foods like that it the states?? Surely not?

J

john

Yes that is what I am telling you. I have searched on the net and around my area. I can get crickets and what-not, but I cant find a place around my area to get the other things. Mabye there is a store online somewhere. It is hard to find locusts or snails around here as live food. I was just asking, no harm in that right. Jease.

M

mark

Maybe you have a fishing shop that sells maggots? Alternatively cultivate your own. Snails are best found after rain - they arn't difficult to catch... locust are a bit harder but crickets are probably nutritionally similar. Locust are easy to breed if you do get hold of some.

I wasn't trying to offend you. Just surprised that you wanted to ship house flies and snails halfway round the world when Wisconsin is probably full of them....

J

john

Well I try not to catch anything outside to feed to my frog simply because it might have pesticides or something on it that might not be good for him. It would be hard to track down some snails, I wouldnt know where to look. I guess I'll have to wait for andrews reply.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1