Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: My two new babies!

Picklelicious

Reaction score
I just picked up two new babies today from a lady not far from me. One I know is leucistic, the other she said was a melanoid. They are both small so I know things can change, but I did shine the light to see if the rings shined or not, they did not, but his/her pupils did, green. I didn't think anything of this till I was looking through pictures to see if I could find baby melanoids and saw someone say that if they have green eyes, they have the GFP gene. Is this true? He definitely has green pupils, very small, but they are green glowy. She didn't say anything about it being a gfp though, so I don't know.

I didn't take any pictures of him with the green glowing pupils yet, as I am trying to let them settle in and not mess with them too much. But I can get some if needed.

Here they are though, more pictures of the melanoid or wild type, just not sure!

And my little leucistic,

Picklelicious

Reaction score
Thank you!

Not the greatest pictures, but I was able to get his eyes with the green glow.

LaurenDragon

Reaction score
I just got a melanoid with the same kind of glowing green eyes. does this mean he is GFP?

reptilesJD

Reaction score
I just got a melanoid with the same kind of glowing green eyes. does this mean he is GFP?

Yes , because of the dark pigmentation you can really see the GFP on the body but if the eyes are green and glow under blue or black light he is definitely a GFP. By looking at your pictures I'm pretty sure he is a GFP .
This is a picture of my GFP Axolotls , you can see that the eyes of the wild type glow fluoresce green

Attachments

• 20150410_212452.jpg
    20150410_212452.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 222
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1