My young Notophthalmus are growing up...

antcatcher11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joey
Awesome little efts! The setup looks great too! So, it sounds like your little efts are becoming more adventorous and less shy. Is that correct? Any way they all look happy and plump! I can't wait for your next update lol!

bobberly1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mike
Man, I hope mine breed soon. The female's so small and slender compared to the male though. :( It could possibly even be a younger male.

antcatcher11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joey
Mike, you just need to post pics of them. Maybe you should ask for a digital camera for x-mas? Any way, I don't think they will breed this year for you.

bobberly1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mike
Seems to be the case, unless I can fatten her up a whole lot. I'm fine with that anyway. Larvae are a lot of responsibility.

slowfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Erin
Despite my best efforts to remove all the eggs I could reach, my newt tank is now swimming with larvae. I'm going to leave them in with their parents. Yes, many will be eaten, but there's a lot of microfood and cover in the tank and I just don't have the time to raise them.

It's hard to resist, though: they're so cute with their little racing stripes :(

slowfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Erin
Just a quick little update for some pictures. I caught the larger eft trying to make a break for it on the highest peak in the terrarium this morning:

king1.JPG

There's a secure lid, so he's not going anywhere. I just thought it was cute.

I almost got that one to eat out of my hand (or forceps) the other night. He sniffed at the bloodworms and followed them around, but chickened out in the end.

Sneaky (I hate jinxing my little guys with names, but this one stuck) has no problem with bloodworms - he loves them:

eating.JPG

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Cute :)
I just realised something looking at the second picture...the colours of the larvae appear to be in two different layers. See the yellow spots seem independent from the background coloration, pretty much like there were two different layers of skin with two different colorations....very interesting.

antcatcher11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joey
I love your updates! Sneaky looks healthy so I dought a name will be the end of him!

slowfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Erin
Cute :)
I just realised something looking at the second picture...the colours of the larvae appear to be in two different layers. See the yellow spots seem independent from the background coloration, pretty much like there were two different layers of skin with two different colorations....very interesting.
Those yellow spots are the areas that are red in the parents, which makes me think these guys will never grow up to have red 'broken stripes' like the parents do. It'll be interesting to see how they turn out if they grow up.

antcatcher11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joey
You could simply try feeding their food with carrots. I have found that it makes my hermit crabs color brighter after a molt. What are you feeding the efts? Also termits can start a culture as longs as they have their king (unlike ants queens need to mate more then once) and queen or enough secondary reproductives. Since your husband is an entomologist I am sure he will be able to help start a culture if you need to.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Oh i know those are the "red" spots Erin thank you :)
What i was surprised to see was not the spots, but the way they look to be on a different skin level.

slowfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Erin
They do sort of look like they're on a different level: the parents' spots look like little flakes of red stuck on their skin.

As far as diet, they're still eating only termites (and whatever other tiny things are crawling around in the terrarium). They absolutely rejected the fruit flies. I might try live blackworms again - they were definitely sniffed thoroughly the last time I put them in, though none were eaten. Right now, I'm offering bloodworms by hand every night before adding termites. I've had no success so far. I suppose I could try to make them hungrier by not feeding for a day or so, but at this point I just want them to grow.

I do have my own termite colony: it's a piece of wood in the backyard ;)

antcatcher11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joey
lol, I know you are collecting the termits, I am just saying that you could have your own colony of subterrain termits that you wouldn't have to go out if it is raining or something.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
Erin,

Have you ever tried feeding them pill bugs? I feed them to my N. v. viridescens efts and they absolutely relish them.

slowfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Erin
lol, I know you are collecting the termits, I am just saying that you could have your own colony of subterrain termits that you wouldn't have to go out if it is raining or something.
I know ;) They're actually pretty hard to breed and keep alive. The termite lab here on campus has a nice set-up, though.

antcatcher11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joey
Really? I would imagin that they would be as easy as ants, but then again ants don't eat rooting wood. :D Also I would worry about parasites with pillbugs but, if you release some in your tank they are a VERY good garbage desposal.

slowfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Erin
Erin,

Have you ever tried feeding them pill bugs? I feed them to my N. v. viridescens efts and they absolutely relish them.
I've tried. Unfortunately, the only type we seem to have down here are the hard-shelled variety. They've never really shown interest in those.

I think I'll try pinhead crickets. I'm also now considering separating the smaller, shyer eft from the bigger so I can make sure he gets enough to eat.

Anyway, here are some larvae pics from this morning. I like seeing all the food in their bellies ;)

2008larvae1.JPG

2008larvae2.JPG

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
Also I would worry about parasites with pillbugs but, if you release some in your tank they are a VERY good garbage desposal.
I breed my own pillbugs so parasites shouldn't be a problem and honestly no matter what you feed your critters the threat of parasites will always be there. So as long as the food is pesticide free I don't really even bother worrying about parasites.;)

slowfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Erin
SUCCESS!!!! :D

The larger eft ate a whole earthworm from my hand (er... forceps). Yes, it was cut into 3 small pieces, but he stuck around for the whole thing - my banging around and looming over him wasn't enough to scare him away.

I might have to separate the smaller eft from the larger one - maybe put him in a smaller cage with more food to get him to grow faster.

Sneaky continues to be fully aquatic. He's decided he doesn't hate me quite as much as he used to and is now begging for food again.

My updates are boring.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
    AnimeDan: Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as... +1