Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mysis

J

john

The shrimp, not my sister (I don't have a sister anyway). I noticed Tim said he feeds frozen Mysis to his newts occasionally. I've never tried it. It is a shrimp right? How large are the shrimp and what consistency are they? I mean, are they all gooey like frozen brine shrimp, or are they more robust? Do they foul the water quickly like brine shrimp? Are they as nutritional as brine shrimp?

I'm not looking for exact numbers or anything, just the opinions of those who feed with them.

Thank you!

J

jesper

I have fed them a couple of times, they are pretty big shrimps - several cm. They keep their shape and my newts seem to like them. The freezing makes them shatter sometimes and that pretty much messes up the water for me. They are pretty robust though. The biggest drawback is the smell, don't forget to take out leftovers!

Remember the smell of crayfish leftovers the day after a nice crayfish dinner....

J

john

Ah, I didn't realise they were that big. Thanks for the info Jesper. I think I'll purchase a pack this weekend and give them a shot.

J

jesper

Hmm, several cm might give you the wrong idea. I checked, the ones in my brand are about 1,5cm. They seem huge since I am used to bloodworms.

J

john

How wide are they? I am looking to feed them to juvenile popei (7-10 cm).

colin

Reaction score
They should manage them at that size. I use mysis for my fish and for the Xenopus/Silurana. Mostly they are Gammarus sized if that helps put a scale to it but you may see a brand called 'pacifica' and the shrimp in those packs are a bit bigger, perhaps 3cm?

I always rinse the shrimp out as they are quite salty before use.

J

john

Good advice. Thanks
happy.gif

J

jesper

Hmm, I think there's confusion when it comes to Mysis. Mysis relicta is a freshwater species if I have got it correctly. Most are salt water species though. Seems to be different species of different sizes etc.
Colin probably knows, right Colin?
wink.gif

colin

Reaction score
right Jesper
wink.gif

Yeah. must just be different species. Pacifica are the biggest ones i have seen on sale here

J

joseph

According to a very nice article on AFM on them, Mysis relicta was originally stocked in freshwater lakes to provide food for kokanee salmon. The plan backfired when the mysis ate the salmon's traditional cladoceran food and the salmon young did not eat the mysis. The mysis are now being harvested by one company to help control the population.

J

jesper

Originally? Wow, and I thought evolution planted them in freshwater lakes
lame.gif

E

edward

Hi Joseph,
They are a freshwater species that was transplanted to the other lakes to provide food. The relicta part comes from the idea that they were trapped in a lake when the sea receded,

Ed

J

jesper

Yep, happened during the last ice age. Ice withdrew(melted), land rose and sea receded. It progressed rather slowly(!) so I guess that the shrimps had time to adjust to freshwater.

P

pdpdpdpdpd

I need help from somebody who has fed frozen brine shrimp to their baby firebelly newts. (Just hatched) I am not sure how to feed them to baby newts? I bought some at the pet store and they are just little frozen orange specks. I also bought a shrimp net (the pet store said I needed it). But I'm not sure how to use it? Can you please help me soon. Thanks.

<font color="ff0000">Edited, please do not use caps lock in the future, it makes our eyes bleed.</font>

(Message edited by apples on January 17, 2005)

J

jarid

If you are feeding you don't REALLY need a net but it will help with rinsing. Take a cube, part of a block, whatever portion that you think is needed and thaw it out, pour it into the net and rinse quickly with fresh water. I am not sure how well this will work actually since I have only fed these to fish and didn't have as much of a need to rinse whatever amount of salt was in the cubes. Also, if this is for larvae, then I recommend not using frozen BBS as the freezing process causes the nauplii to "burst" and they lose most of their nutritional value. The nutritional value of adult brine shrimp, both live or frozen is even worse.

Also, for the future, please try not to type in all caps.
happy.gif

P

pdpdpdpdpd

Hey Thanks! Sorry about all of the Cap. should i feed my baby newts[firebelly] white worms? What food do you reccomend for them ? ive tried feeding them but they won't eat . i have 9 of them that are already hatched . and 12 that are still eggs. my e-mail address is dancinbabigirl02@yahoo.com
Thank You
ufo.gif

P

pin-pin

Hey,

This article is wonderful to find ideas on how to feed newly hatched larvae: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

If you don't have a lot of larvae, hatching your own brine shrimp from eggs is good. I've used newly hatched baby brine shrimp with good success. The movement of the baby brine shrimp attracts the larvae's attention. The article above gives you instructions on how to hatch and harvest them.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!