Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mystery Injury Help?

ClockworkCan

Reaction score
So I have had my darling axolotl, Skeletor, for a couple years now but today I found this weird injury/hole in his dorsal fin area. The actual injury isn't that concerning because I know it will heal but I'm more concerned for what caused it. I haven't manhandled him or anything and I haven't seen him spooked or thrash around recently so I haven't a clue. I worry about some sort of "invisible" harm like a chemical issue or disease I don't know of. He is otherwise healthy and I included a picture his head to help the pet detectives out there.

If anyone could offer some insight that would be lovely. Thanks!
Pictures attached below

IMG_2930.JPGIMG_2922.JPGIMG_2933.JPG

Murk

Reaction score
You haven't seen him spook or trash, but he could very well have done this when you weren't looking ;)
Sometimes, they just get spooked for no reason other than that they're silly creatures. It doesn't look like there is too much sharp or ragged edges in the tank, but either of those ornaments could very well have chipped of a piece of axolotl.

He seems otherwise healthy and happy, so I wouldn't be worried yet.
I'm not a vet, though. Do keep an eye on it.

Murk

Reaction score
That's only good, right?
Ironically, I would always advise to follow your gut feeling over the advice of random amateurs on the internet!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1