Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. kaiseri F2

markusA

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

it happened after nearly 2 years, my first own breed N. kaiseri got mature with 23 months and I got the first eggs of them. They reached nearly size of adults, maybe 1cm less.
I observed in summer (strange enough at that time) after 17 months for the first time enlarged cloaca in both sexes. So it was easy to tell what is male and female. 7 animals I kept (chosen by chance) from the first breeding turned out to be 4 males and 3 females. One pair I still keep, the other I gave away. That cb pair I kept since metamorphosis terrestrial and from November to January at 10-14°C. 1 week ago I put them in an aquarium and raised water level over 3 days and temperature to 16-18°C. Just after 4 days keeping in water the first 14 eggs appeared.
See attached pictures of eggs and some of my captive breed kaiseri from 2008 and 2009.
So I hope they are fertilized and hope to see developing embryos soon.

Attachments

• cb_08_09.JPG
    cb_08_09.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 579
  • F2_kaiseri.JPG
    F2_kaiseri.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 431

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Congratulations!

Good work!

It makes me very happy to see that not everyone has given up on this species around the world. I look forward to reading of your methods and their progress.

NewtZoo

Reaction score
YAY! So many Keiseri this summer/winter! Its been fun searching the boards to see how much success there is.

markusA

Reaction score
Except the first eggs from the first 2 egg laying nights all are fertile!
The female is laying about 5 eggs every night.
So the guy did his job and I can say N. kaiseri got mature in my collection with 23 months.
I will take pics soon.

markusA

Reaction score
here are two pictures I took this morning

the first picture shows some of the eggs of my F1 generation, they seem to develop more slow than those of their parents (F0) in second picture

Attachments

• kaiseri_F1_eggs.JPG
    kaiseri_F1_eggs.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 379
  • kaiseri_F0_eggs.JPG
    kaiseri_F0_eggs.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 384

damien

Reaction score
That is really cool! nice to see F2 being bred.
Very nice pictures, too.
Interesting to see that there are differences in development!
Please keep us informed.

grunsven

Reaction score
It is great you have F2.
But are the parents siblings?

Be careful with inbreeding, this can result in weak animals.

uwe

Reaction score
Hi Markus,

congratulations to your breeding success. The development time of to maturiry in 23 months is very interesting!

I keep my fingers crossed that the deveolpment will continue as hoped!

Inbreeding is not a theme at this stage of generation (F2)

See you

Uwe

PS: the karelinii are doing fine

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
It is great you have F2.
But are the parents siblings?

Be careful with inbreeding, this can result in weak animals.

Inbreeding is generally not an issue with most caudates. In the case of this species, almost all of the current captives are directly related, especially the very, very few F2s.

markusA

Reaction score
an update on the F2 kaiseri eggs

the larvae are smaller and developed slower in beginning but now they are as fast as my other larvae (F1 from my wc parents)

this year I got fewer eggs of all my kaiseri but more larvae survive so I have now more than 100 larvae swimming in the tanks. (the adults are still laying)

I reported last years on a problem with poor survivor rate in small larvae: I think in my case the problem was the tap water.
this year I just left most of eggs in parents tanks and...

I got many strong little guys!

I removed some after 2 weeks and put them in water ( from parents tank during regular cleaning) and they did fine.

some I put in a prepared aquarium with plants, algae and a small culture of Daphnia and those did fine as well.

So I can recommend raising of larvae in parents tank in first weeks of their live, the adults do not eat them. The larvae theirselves do feed on mud (and one cell organisms living in mud and on the stones) and I feed aditionally small crustaceans as Cyclops and Daphnia (juveniles or smaller species).

KennyDB

Reaction score
Nice Markus! Maybe I have the luck to have F2 from your F1 myself next year ;) They grow superfast!

Thanks for sharing

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!