Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. kaiseri in mating season

simon08

Reaction score
Hi,

my 5 neurergus kaiseri are in mating session now. i keep them all the year around in an aquatic setup. on 10.30.09 i remarked that the cloak of my newts are swollen. temperatur was at 23c° (73.4°F). one day later, at 12am i could see the male fan at the female but this was the first and last time. they tank is in my basement so i can check it only some short times at night.

on 11.03.09 i cooled down the temperatur to 15 c° within one day (57.2°F). the kloak of the females growth very well (between 2-4 mm) only the kloak of the males are not realy swollen. does they need more time to develop the kloak?

i will keep them for one month between 14-15 c° but im a litle bit confussed about the different in temperatures and time of cooling down the water. some hold them around 10c° some between 14-15c° and some at 18c°. mine are active and fit. they also eat well. only one is not as fat like the others ones:D but also in normal condition. what´s the best time to raise the temperatur? when they get pregnant? ore do they get preagnent after i raise the temperatur?

if everything goes fine and the larvae hatch, do they need flowing water like the adults?

you would help me alot if you could answer my questions. maybe you have some tips as well;) i hope my english wans´t the worst and you could understand everything:rolleyes:

the picture are some days old.
if you want, i can post some more pictures .

best regards simon.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.jpg
    Unbenannt.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 893
  • IMG_4374.jpg
    IMG_4374.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,061
  • IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 1,272

markusA

Reaction score
Hi Simon,

answers to your questions are already posted in this forum. But I will summarize some.
kaiseri do not need flowing water but some people observed that they do better if it is moved and aerated.
For raising larvae there are different methods that work as it is true for keeping the adults. But I could imagine the larvae would do fine in your parents tank as there are many hiding places as plants and stones.
But before you get fertile eggs you need to solve the problem that males do not get in "mating mood".
I think cool period must be longer than some days and should not start and end abruptly. It seems that kaiseri can tolerate a wide range of temperatures and it was observed that some animals need more cool temperatures than others to breed. One reason for this phenomenon could be the origin of your animals, if they(or parents) were caught in low or high altitudes in Iran. As most of people dont know about origin of their stock one has to try.
Some breeders I heard of change temps during the year only slightly and have success, some do a very cool hibernation below 10°C.

My animals did breed two consecutive years now and I do as follows:
terrestrial setup from April to November, at room temps (16-28°C), cool hibernation in terrestrial setup at 10-14°C, then in end of December/January raising temps to 16°C, and putting the kaiseri in aquarium with some cm of water (and stones as you have), after 2-3 days I raise water level slowly, after one week to 15cm, temperature is now 18°C and my kaiseri males start at this temps with tail fanning. The water is 18-22°C warm until March, but now the majority of eggs is laid.
During hibernation the cloaca of animals of both sexes develops and I had never problems with infertile eggs.

One thing to make sure the males and females are ready for mating at the same time is to get out the males 1-2 weeks earlier from hibernation. It is known from nature that males will migrate earlier to the breeding pools and springs.

simon08

Reaction score
AW: N. kaiseri in mating season

hi,

today at 1pm i found the first 2 egg´s, layed on plants. when i went to my basement at 9pm i found some more egg´s on rocks. the temperature last time was arround 14-18c° at day. at night more coolly. in the moment the temperatur is a arround 16c°. in the next days i will collect them. because i changed the water today and collecting eggs would be stressing them unnecessarily.

@markus
thanks a lot

greetings simon

Attachments

• ei.jpg
    ei.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,057
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1