Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. strauchii - breeding again

J

jennifer

This is the 3rd year that this trio (1:2) has bred for me.

I keep them in the garage during the winter, in water, at 9-10C. As the temperature begins to hit 13-14C in February, they start to lay eggs. In the 3 years I've bred them, they began laying eggs on Feb 16 (2005), Feb 16 (2006) and Feb 27 (2007).

I caught this female "in the act". She is lying on her back between the rocks. You can see a newly-deposited egg just behind her tail.

Evidently I disturbed her - in the second photo she is moving away to take a breath of air, not having deposited the 2nd egg that she was working on.

80096.jpg

80097.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on March 15, 2007)

J

jennifer

This trio was 2 years old at their first breeding. However, I currently have a group of 2-year-old offspring that have been in the garage this winter, but don't seem ready to breed this year. Maybe next year.

P

paul

Thanks for including the photos. What size tank are they in? Paul

P

pin-pin

You have the magic touch, and the magic temperatures, Jen. Congratulations!

I wonder if New Mexico simulates the conditions of the middle east.
biggrin.gif

A

abrahm

Congratulations! More newt babies! I'm always amazed that your house in New Mexico can keep so many newts cool and healthy.
happy.gif
It makes me wonder how deep your basement is!

I'd love to get some of these guys and show the success you do. I'll just have to wait until I can get my own basement. Someday there will be a house an it will have a basement!

C

cameron

Awesome!
happy.gif
I think these newts are fabulous. I hope I could have a pair when I get older.

J

jennifer

Hi Paul, the trio is in a 15-gallon tank, and I have the other group of 5 in a 29-gallon tank. In 2005 the trio was "garaged" in a 10-gallon tank, and that was sufficient.

Hi Abrahm, although I live in NM, I am at high altitude where it's not really very hot. We had snow on the ground for about half of this winter, for example.

J

joseph

Great job Jenn! That egg laying method is really interesting.

S

steve

Hi,

I'm getting 4 of the beauties. I was wondering what kind of water do you use. I read that this species needs different water conditions than other newts.

Steve

J

jennifer

I use dechlorinated tap water. My local water comes from ground water, so it is slightly hard and alkaline (~pH 8). I believe that tap water should be OK for them in most cases, but if your aquarium water ends up being below pH 7.0, I would add a small amount of calcium carbonate (limestone, calci-sand, bird grit, or crushed shells) to the tank.

S

steve

Thanks Jennifer. I'm going with the crushed coral. I will have to measure the ph of this water.

J

jennifer

The egg laying is not going as well as last year. We had a week of warm temperature here - their water got up to 18C for a couple of days. This has completely stopped egg-laying. The egg deposited in the photo above have been one of the last, unless they start again. The females are still plump, but this species depends critically on having the right temperature. I'm bummed.
sick.gif

ravenous

Reaction score
Now these newts are awesome. Hopefully theyre not done yet and will give you some eggs. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1