Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. strauchii eggs!!!!!!

J

jennifer

Woo hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

The temperature in the tank has been 14C (57F) for the past two days. It was previously 10-12C. Maybe this did the trick??

Here is the whole tank setup. A small filter pushes water through the rock pile on the lower left. The eggs were mostly laid on the underside of the big flat rock at the upper right. They laid a total of 16 eggs.

31029.jpg

In this shot are 3 eggs that were laid near the front of the rock (1 under the lower rock), easily seen:

31030.jpg

In this shot, you can see the male (he was hanging out with the eggs... maybe to eat them?) and behind him a whole bunch of eggs on the underside of the rock:

31031.jpg

I took the rock out and here is a photo of the eggs on the underside of it:

31032.jpg

I gently removed the eggs from the rocks and put them in a pan of tank water. Now what? The caresheet for N. crocatus says the eggs must be kept in moving water. I may try keeping some in moving water, some in still water and see what happens.

(Message edited by jennewt on February 16, 2005)

J

jarid

Jen congratulations!
biggrin.gif
I wish you the best of luck with the eggs/larvae. You know what you need to do now, make a egg development series page.
wink.gif

D

david

Would it be safe to say, this is the first time strauchii have been bred in the U.S.? Correct me if I'm wrong. Way too cool Jen

J

jeff

Congrats, Jen. Reading this just reminded me of the first time I bred Fire-belly toads at the age of 13. I was in shock and felt like a proud father. Hope you feel the same (though as a mother, of course)

S

sergé

Perhaps you can try to get some water circulation with a small pump and a water pipe that let's the water rain back again. I think high O2 saturation and temperature are important, but can't tell from own experience
:-(.

F

francesco

Wow brilliant! Congratulations! I wish I could breed them one day. They're so difficult to find and so expensive, but to breed them...unbelievable!!!

A

alan

Just use an airstone to provide gentle circulation and O2?

Congrats Jen!

N

nate

Way to be, Jen!
hat.gif

While mine are doing well, I don't think they have the size to breed this year.

J

jennifer

Thanks, all. It's always an adrenalin rush to suddenly discover eggs.

There are 4 more eggs today. I saw the female lying on her back between the rock slabs - it's very strange to see a newt lying on its back. She turned over and came out to eat when I approached with food.

I'm not sure about the fertility of the eggs. For some of them, the nucleus looks "too white" in a way that I associate with duds. We'll see.

I put most of the eggs in this net breeder. This is the tank the adults used to occupy in the basement, now empty while they cavort in the garage. I hope 17C is cold enough for the eggs.

31082.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on February 17, 2005)

F

frank

HI Jen,

Great! Some thoughts: eggs from salamandrid newts laying underneath stones in dark places are generally white (eg Neurergus but also for example Paramesotriton caudopunctatus, Euproctus, Mertensiella caucasica, Chioglossa). I am very anxious of keeping these eggs out of the light (although this is not based on any funded observations of higher mortality).

TJ

Reaction score
How come I'm the last to know?
lame.gif

What at fantastic accomplishment, Jen!

How old are the newts that are responsible for the eggs? Less than three years?

J

jennifer

I believe these newts were hatched in spring 2003. They have been aquatic since spring 2004.

I'm up to about 30 eggs now. But I'm fairly certain that some are duds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!