Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N strauchii TWINS!!

Tim Robin

Reaction score
I posted this in an ongoing thread about my successes with N strauchii over the past years. This year was super cool. I produced twins. Here are some previously posted photos.....

040_zpsd3013415.jpg

053_zpseb338a71.jpg

photo_zpsb06736c5.jpg

Here they are today. Their spots are not identical, does this mean they are not identical twins or are their spots like freckles in humans. I am not positive, but I doubt identical twins have the exact same freckles. I am still torn whether to keep them or let them go!!

photo3_zps46f2ca69.jpg

photo4_zpsc5e30c4d.jpg

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Awesome Tim ,I remember reading that post i was hopeing they where going to be identical,that wouldve been cool.I got 3 new strauchii this week.Lovely animals

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
Very neat! Anythinf twin i love lol. I have identical twin boys ;)

-Amber

Fer

Reaction score
Great photos of the egg Tim, and nice to see they're doing fine! In a future perhaps ill get some of them hehe:proud:

sergé

Reaction score
...mmmm, not really twins then are they as they do not look alike.

In fact, Steinfartz (199%) in his paper on crocatus and strauchii breeding already showed a photo of an egg like this with in fact TRIPLE embryos. Seems not so uncommon :)

STEINFARTZ, S. (1995): Zur Fortpflanzungsbiologie von Neurergus crocatus und Neurergus strauchii barani. - Salamandra, Rheinbach 31 (1): 15-32.

slowfoot

Reaction score
...mmmm, not really twins then are they as they do not look alike.

In fact, Steinfartz (199%) in his paper on crocatus and strauchii breeding already showed a photo of an egg like this with in fact TRIPLE embryos. Seems not so uncommon :)

STEINFARTZ, S. (1995): Zur Fortpflanzungsbiologie von Neurergus crocatus und Neurergus strauchii barani. - Salamandra, Rheinbach 31 (1): 15-32.

I would say they are still twins. Fraternal twins in humans are no closer genetically than two normal siblings. Also, coat or skin patterns are not a good measure of genetic similarity since it is often a product of environmental and/ or random processes during development, e.g. tortoiseshell coloring in cats.

Tim Robin

Reaction score
They are doing well. They are now 3.5-4 inches. Need for tank space is making them available. I have the mermaid available too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1