N strauchii TWINS!!

Tim Robin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I posted this in an ongoing thread about my successes with N strauchii over the past years. This year was super cool. I produced twins. Here are some previously posted photos.....

040_zpsd3013415.jpg

053_zpseb338a71.jpg

photo_zpsb06736c5.jpg

Here they are today. Their spots are not identical, does this mean they are not identical twins or are their spots like freckles in humans. I am not positive, but I doubt identical twins have the exact same freckles. I am still torn whether to keep them or let them go!!

photo3_zps46f2ca69.jpg

photo4_zpsc5e30c4d.jpg

Awesome Tim ,I remember reading that post i was hopeing they where going to be identical,that wouldve been cool.I got 3 new strauchii this week.Lovely animals

Very neat! Anythinf twin i love lol. I have identical twin boys ;)

-Amber

Great photos of the egg Tim, and nice to see they're doing fine! In a future perhaps ill get some of them hehe:proud:

thank you for sharing !
i hope to someday start posting my newts :happy:

Assume, how are they doing now

...mmmm, not really twins then are they as they do not look alike.

In fact, Steinfartz (199%) in his paper on crocatus and strauchii breeding already showed a photo of an egg like this with in fact TRIPLE embryos. Seems not so uncommon :)

STEINFARTZ, S. (1995): Zur Fortpflanzungsbiologie von Neurergus crocatus und Neurergus strauchii barani. - Salamandra, Rheinbach 31 (1): 15-32.

...mmmm, not really twins then are they as they do not look alike.

In fact, Steinfartz (199%) in his paper on crocatus and strauchii breeding already showed a photo of an egg like this with in fact TRIPLE embryos. Seems not so uncommon :)

STEINFARTZ, S. (1995): Zur Fortpflanzungsbiologie von Neurergus crocatus und Neurergus strauchii barani. - Salamandra, Rheinbach 31 (1): 15-32.

I would say they are still twins. Fraternal twins in humans are no closer genetically than two normal siblings. Also, coat or skin patterns are not a good measure of genetic similarity since it is often a product of environmental and/ or random processes during development, e.g. tortoiseshell coloring in cats.

They are doing well. They are now 3.5-4 inches. Need for tank space is making them available. I have the mermaid available too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back