N.V.V. egg problem

W

wyatt

i have 6 nvv and was wondering something. i mean, ihave males and females but that was hard to tell out of em. i was wondering if my newts laid eggs is there anyway to "put them to sleep" or euthanize them.i don't want eggs. if you want them, i live in the detroit area and remember i won't pay for shipping.

You should post about eggs in the advertisement section, I know there is some one in the detroit area looking for notopthalmus. There are just too few newts on this planet for us to go around throwing eggs away (in my opinion at least.) If you get eggs and nobody wants them find a nice pond in the wild that's already colonised by newts, maybe a fishless garden pond and put the eggs there. I'm pretty sure these newts live in the wild in your area.

they do. i have a pond that dries up now and then. it is connected to the clinton river. thats the only pond near.i have a backyard pond, with fish. they wouldn't survive there. would the in-permanent pond work. i don't have eggs yet, but just in case. would you advise me to separate male and females?

Releasing captive bred animals is a really bad idea. It can introduce parasites, diseases, and other problems found in captivity, as well as causing problems with the gene pool. Even if the adults were wildcaught from that location, it's still a bad idea, and the above holds true, and it goes without saying to never release store bought animals or their offspring into the wild.

Whats wrong with reintroducing animals to the wild, there are many captive breeding projects all over the world intent on at some point, when they've managed to produce enough animals release them into the wild. I can see how a wild caught animal could bring parasites into a captive setting, but I don't see how a captive animal's eggs could carry parasites out of a sterile captive setting.

Professional release programs are run from a scientific perspective. Any animals they release are carefully screened for problems or genetic abnormalities. It's also only done with endangered animals, or generally with animals that range a long distance such as large mammals and birds that need to be relocated.

Adding new genes to the gene pool in a locality can damage the population, or species in animals with small ranges. Often times, subspecies are poorly defined, or definitions change, and introducing a new subspecies to an area could result in hybridization, which is detrimental to the species.

Parasites can be found in food items, from human contact, or from contact with other animals. There is no such thing as a sterile captive setting, even if possible, it would kill the animal. Also, parasites aren't always obvious, and often times don't always harm the animal. In many populations, certain internal parasites are considered normal. Regardless, introducing these to an area they don't naturally occur can have a negative effect on other animals in the ecosystem.

It's also illegal to release captive animals in most states for these reasons.

While eggs are less likely to carry parasites than adults, it can still happen, and even if none of the other problems don't occur, the potential far outweighs the benefit of quickly getting rid of the animals or eggs.

I would say that you should try to raise the larvae. It will be a very fun and enlightening experience and is sure to hone yours skills. If you don't want too, passing the eggs to other people is the best bet. i'm sure there are some that want N. v. v.

Look into that first before throwing out eggs. You could, instead of throwing em out, leave the eggs and let the adults eat them.

peter I Wild caught them Myself and they wouldn't introduce parasites because they were wild caught. i know the dangers of releasing captive bred animals. i can't afford to raise them all, but i would like to raise one or two. i am into the aquatic, so i think it would be fun to have a terrestrial juvenile. no one said if the advised a divider between the males and females. would this be a good idea.what about the pond do you consider it a good place. it probably is close to another pond. if it dries up they could go there.

Hi Wyatt,
Do you keep any other species of reptiles, amphibians, fish or insects that are not native to the area in the same room or use the same sink to clean/provide water? Do you visit someone with herps, fish, insects or a pet store? Are you feeding only food items collected at the site or are you feeding other food sources? These are potential sources of introduces pathogens. The fact that you collected them has little bearing on whether or not they are carrying of disease. Animals reared for reintroductions/repatriations are typically reared away from all other animals to prevent the possible transmission of infectious organisms.

As to your original question, you can offer the eggs here if it is legal in your state and have the person getting them pay the shipping. Eggs that have not begun to develop can be disposed of by simply throwing them away and letting them dry out. If the embryos have begun to develop then they can be humanly euthanized by immersion in an alcohol bath.

Ed

This may not even be an issue for this specific person since the newts in question have not even shown signs of breeding yet.
Are Nvv an easy species to "accidentally" breed, or do they require specific environmental stimulation to get them to even start breeding?
From my experience, species like Cynops Pyrrhogaster, Taricha Granulosa, and Pachy's can be difficult to keep from breeding, even if no environmental conditions are simulated.

it says they don't need to have environment simulation, they will breed. it says hibernation promotes the process but breeding can be done without hibernating. what about the divider? also how many eggs will the female lay? i don't want all but it would be nice to save a couple. does she lay one to a leaf or what? for one strand of anarchis(eloadea) how many eggs can she lay on that?ed to answer your question, yeah. would the pond work for release? someone tell me

(Message edited by mrnewt71 on October 07, 2004)

One to a leaf is pretty much the rule for salamandrids, though there are exceptions. If the eggs are tough you can often remove them from the plants. If you would want to raise at least one or two then you'ld probably have to start out with at least ten eggs just in case any die (even though in ideal captive conditions 95% of the eggs should make it.)

Wyatt, do you mean yes to having other herps, insects or fish? If so then the newts or their eggs should not be released.

Ed

what about the divider and pond?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Ed pointed out, you should not be releasing anything into local ponds. The divider might work, although I have seen a very determined male repeatedly climb over the kind of tank divider they sell at pet stores.

Wyatt: I'm sure many people here would be more than happy to take N. v v eggs. I wouldn't mind raising a few larvae myself.

i would like to know if the pond would be able to stimulate n.v.v. i will not release the larvae but i am just curious to see if it would actually be able to hold a newt population.

Wyatt, I'll gladly take any eggs. I live in St. Clair County Michigan. Do you have AOL Instant Messenger? If so, we should exchange screenames and keep in touch, in the event that they do breed. My screename is: xamphibiax.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back