Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Name and shame

texa

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Hoping to get a bit of support as unfortunately I have not been able to improve a bad situation on my own so far.

I visited the Scottish SEA LIFE Sanctuary near Oban, Scotland on the 12th September and immediately found issues with the axolotl exhibit. It was overstocked, with bright lights and no hides, there was rotting bloodworm everywhere and the substrate was gravel. See attached pictures, you can see the axolotls have crammed themselves into the only available crevasse.

Before I left I indicated to a staff member that the conditions, and especially the presence of gravel, was concerning. I then emailed the sanctuary outlining these concerns, but giving advice on how to remedy the situation. I sent pictures of a dead bloated juvenile I tried to rescue after it had been kept on gravel, and also that widely spread x-ray picture of an axolotl with a large stone ingested.

I have only just received this reply:

'Following your earlier query the Head of our Animal Care Team has now spoken to our Company Vet and raised your concerns with him and received the following response.

Our axolotl exhibits are regularly inspected by the vet on his visits to the site and we have had no incidents or deaths in the six years we’ve been keeping these creatures. We have also bred them successfully on a number of occasions. Our axolotls get a varied diet, not just bloodworm, and we’ve never had a problem with the water quality in the tank, which is monitored several times a day.

Our fish tank is a mix of different species of fish, we are aware of this but they are, so far, living happily together and breeding successfully.

We are subject to regular vet and zoo licensing inspections, both of which we score very highly in for animal welfare.

The Company Vet has therefore stated that he is satisfied with the conditions in which these animals are kept and has not found any cause for concern.'

I really think that this attitude is appalling, and as I work in a LFS, these are the comments I hear every day to justify poor conditions. I have made my reply, and stated I will continue to find support.

How should I go further with this? I have a number of email addresses for people higher up in Merlin Entertainments (they run the show), and have made a report to the SSPCA already.

Attachments

• 14374746_10157446812505483_155331979_o.jpg
    14374746_10157446812505483_155331979_o.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 14315748_10157446812615483_1759928854_o.jpg
    14315748_10157446812615483_1759928854_o.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 14329130_10157446812540483_915200502_o.jpg
    14329130_10157446812540483_915200502_o.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 168

lotty

Reaction score
It seems they are not interested in your views of the axy welfare. There should be a higher place to report to, but the SSPCA should know what conditions the axy's should be in. If they dont, they should research it. They may have a vet going weekly / daily / monthly, but I doubt a ver will know everything about every creature in a zoo / animal place. Testing water can be done by anyone and is easy to say "the water and set up is fine", as you say, loads of people say it about their goldfish swimming upside down in brown water when they phone the LPS. They are not potraying the axylotl's life style as it would be in nature. SSPCA would be a good start.

Holly12

Reaction score
Most people have no clue what an axie is. He probably thinks it's a fish...

Ghoul

Reaction score
I would also consider looking into possibly making a petition - I know there's a bunch of different online sites for that, and people on here could sign and share it.

texa

Reaction score
Just an update on this.

The inspector from the SSPCA called me a couple of days ago to say that the investigation is ongoing. He agrees the tank is overstocked, the gravel is a risk and that there are no hides for the lotls.

He has forwarded a welfare inspection due next year to this month, and will be sitting down and discussing the issues with external inspectors plus the vet who apparently said the conditions are acceptable.

I am really impressed the SSPCA are taking the issue so seriously, and I hope the sea-life centre are reconsidering their husbandry. I'll keep you updated, here's hoping the axolotls will be in the correct conditions soon!

Donna001

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.
It is encouraging to hear that the SSPCA are taking the issue seriously. Hopefully the axolotl conditions will be improved soon, and well done you for highlighting the problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1