Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nauphoeta cinerea

Badmungo

Reaction score
Ok.

I have a couple of questions.

First. Is Nauphoeta cinerea the same as locusts? I think ive read that somewere but im not chure. And my english is not that good...

I also know that people have fed their frogs with Nauphoeta cinerea with succes. This is, they say, because of their shell is not as hard as other roaches and they have a high calcium ratio, making them good food for amfibians.
Like before. This is something ive heard and i dont know the truth in it.

Since my firesalamanders aint that fond of worms (!) but love insects of diffrent kind im thinking of offring them Nauphoeta cinerea in their diet. Good or bad? what do you think? Is this spieces of roach an accepteble foodchoice for a salamandra? What is peoples overall experience of feeding with roaches in generall? Maybe there is other choices that are better when the small ones wont eat their worms?

Best regards

Fredrik

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Badmungo

Reaction score
Thank you for explaining.

I can read that Nauphoeta cinerea is rekomended for amfibians acording to one of your links. It doesent say anything about calcium/nutrusious/fat though. Looks like its worth checking up though. Anyone have any experience of Nauphoeta cinerea for ¨salamandra?

fishkeeper

Reaction score
I'm growing them for tarantulas. They don't seem to be that good of newt food. The juveniles are small enough but they are pretty fast moving. But something that eats termites in the wild might appreciate the newly born nymphs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1