Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

NC/TN Salamandering Trip

MonarchzMan

Reaction score
So this might be a little iffy as to my request due to forum rules, and if it is, I apologize.

I have probably about 80% convinced myself that I am going to do a salamandering trip to the southern Appalachians in March. I'm close enough (6-8 hours) that it is doable, but having never been there myself, I'm largely flying blind (looking at range maps and trying to figure out areas). I would like to find as many species as possible in that week, particularly ones I would not be able to see in Mississippi, which appears to be most of them.

In connection with the Year of the Salamander, I'm doing my own year of the salamander and trying to hit as many salamander species in a year and photographing them on white as part of the Meet Your Neighbours (Meet Your Neighbours: An International Nature Photography Project Celebrating Common Species Everywhere) project.

The general list I came up for that area is this (I'm using the Conant and Collins field guide and realize that they don't recognize some of the recent splits). If there are any species that I basically have no chance of finding or ones I should be sure to try to find, let me know. And if there are general areas in NC/TN I should focus on, I would love to hear that (although, if you need to PM me, that's fine).

Cryptobranchus alleganiensis
Necturus maculosus
Ambystoma talpoideum
Ambystoma opacum
Ambystoma maculatum
Ambystoma tigrinum
Notophthalmus viridescens
Desmognathus fuscus
Desmognathus conanti
Desmognathus santeetlah
Desmognathus monticola
Desmognathus quadramaculatus
Desmognathus ochrophaeus
Desmognathus imitator
Desmognathus wrighti
Desmognathus aeneus
Desmognathus ocoee
Desmognathus carolinensis
Desmognathus orestes
Desmognathus marmoratus
Plethodon cinereus
Plethodon serratus
Plethodon richmondi
Plethodon welleri
Plethodon aureolus
Plethodon dorsalis
Plethodon chlorobryonis
Plethodon chattahoocee
Plethodon glutinosus
Plethodon teyahalee
Plethodon patraeus
Plethodon yonahlossee
Plethodon amplus
Plethodon meridianus
Plethodon montanus
Plethodon metcalfi
Plethodon shermani
Plethodon cheoah
Plethodon jordani
Hemidactylium scutatum
Aneides aeneus
Gyrinophilus porphyriticus
Gyrinophilus palleucus
Pseudotriton montanus
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Pseudotriton ruber
Eurycea cirrigera
Eurycea wilderae
Eurycea aquatica
Eurycea junaluska
Eurycea longicauda
Eurycea guttolineata
Eurycea lucifuga
Eurycea quadridigitata
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1](SC population)[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]
[/FONT]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1