Necturus setup

S

sean

The message below I originaly posted in the Vivaria gallery which probably wasnt the best place for it so I am posting here also because I would like more responses from people with experience with large aquatics. Sorry if this is against the rules.

Here is my recently completed setup for Necturus Maculosus. Although now I am unsure of the legality of me keeping one. Now I am considering a Greater Siren,Amphiuma, or maybe even Axolotls. I have never kept any of these so I dont know what my best bet would be. BTW this setup is a 55gal with 2 30-60 filters and live plants. I made a cave structure out of the large rocks and all of the gravel bed is rocks collected from a mountain stream in Tennessee.I have had this tank setup for about 2 weeks and I gaze at it at least once everyday even though nothing lives in it. It reminds me of the mountain streams that I love so much. The only further plans I have for it is more plants.Anybody have opinions on what would be the best species to live in the tank? Also, Anybody know a source for Sirens?
44245.jpg

I received some info from John Jensen of the Georgia DNR Nongame-Endangered Wildlife Program. The following rules apply; 27-1-28, 391-4-10, 27-1-30 and 27-4-91. Now under 27-1-28 (see link) it refers to spring lizards. If I remember correctly this is a colloquial term for salamanders/newts/caudates here in the south. So you could collect any of the Necturus species for your set-up.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=27-2-28

Thanks Russ!Thats great news. Now I just have to find a source and get some issues with my tank worked out. Planning on getting any Necturus yourself?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back