Need advice on how to find springtails and isopods (from nature !)

M Ali

Reaction score
Country
Iran
Hi there i'm recently registered here and i'm glad that i find this place cause other references are mostly useful for reptiles and more common animals not sals. so i'll go straight to the point. I just finished setting up my first paludarium for my kaiser newts and i've got my first obstacles to.
i mean "mold" .then i started to research and find out that the solution is springtails and isopods
but the problem is that i cant find anywhere to buy them in my city :confused: now there is only one way left
the natural way. but i have no idea about how to make a trap or something to cache them and where do i have to search for theme

sorry for my poor language ;)

AdvythAF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Advyth
Well, you could start your search for isopods and springtails under damp wood, especially in moist forests or grasslands. Where I live, springtails can be found feeding on rotting wood. Isopods can also be found on rotting wood, but they prefer more moisture.

If you have a backyard that is somewhat naturalistic you can encourage isopods and springtails to take up residence by placing bricks and wood/bark on the ground and watering the garden well. If you need to collect isopods or springtails, you just flip the wood or bricks to find them.

If all this fails, it may be possible for you to buy your isopods/springtails online. Dart frog keepers use isopods and springtails so try looking at different websites that might be able to ship to you.

Lastly, if you have a problem with mold in the tank, try other methods of reducing mold growth. You can mist the tank less, which your Kaiser's Newts could be fine with as they come from semi-arid environments in the wild. Try increasing the ventilation and open the lid to let in fresh air and reduce the stale air that the causes the mold to grow.

Good Luck! :happy:

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Their natural habitat is under rocks, rotting wood and moist leaf litter rich soil. Isopods should be easy to find and toss in as is. If the environment is suitable they will reproduce.

The spring tails are tiny and hard to gather individually. I'd suggest finding some leaf litter and soil and placing it in a container. Keep slightly moist and humid (not wet) and place slices of sweet potato on the surface. If there are any springtails they will start to congregate of the sweet potato. Tap the springtails from the sweet potato into a container and place in your paludarium. The springtails may have a hard time thriving and reproducing in your paludarium if there is no soil or leaf litter though.

Good luck!

M Ali

Reaction score
Country
Iran
Well, you could start your search for isopods and springtails under damp wood, especially in moist forests or grasslands. Where I live, springtails can be found feeding on rotting wood. Isopods can also be found on rotting wood, but they prefer more moisture.

If you have a backyard that is somewhat naturalistic you can encourage isopods and springtails to take up residence by placing bricks and wood/bark on the ground and watering the garden well. If you need to collect isopods or springtails, you just flip the wood or bricks to find them.

If all this fails, it may be possible for you to buy your isopods/springtails online. Dart frog keepers use isopods and springtails so try looking at different websites that might be able to ship to you.

Lastly, if you have a problem with mold in the tank, try other methods of reducing mold growth. You can mist the tank less, which your Kaiser's Newts could be fine with as they come from semi-arid environments in the wild. Try increasing the ventilation and open the lid to let in fresh air and reduce the stale air that the causes the mold to grow.

Good Luck! :happy:
unfortunately i wasn't able to find any seller for those little guys in iran and i think they won't let the animals shipped from other countries to come inside easily :\
but i have a trip to "mazandaran" on this weekend. mazandaran is One of those places that if you stand still for a minute you can see all kind of insects climbing up on your legs. probably i have a better chance to find them in there
and about other solutions i cant lower Humidity because there is a moss in there and they're already looks a little dehydrated .however i'm trying to setup a closed air flow system instead.

Their natural habitat is under rocks, rotting wood and moist leaf litter rich soil. Isopods should be easy to find and toss in as is. If the environment is suitable they will reproduce.

The spring tails are tiny and hard to gather individually. I'd suggest finding some leaf litter and soil and placing it in a container. Keep slightly moist and humid (not wet) and place slices of sweet potato on the surface. If there are any springtails they will start to congregate of the sweet potato. Tap the springtails from the sweet potato into a container and place in your paludarium. The springtails may have a hard time thriving and reproducing in your paludarium if there is no soil or leaf litter though.

Good luck!
i'm thinking of making some sort of trap and i'll use the potato method on it to
and thanks for all your helpful solutions :wink:

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mold in a new tank is pretty normal. All the organic material is just starting to break down and fungus is usually one of the first things to move in. You could likely just wait it out if the newts aren't waiting for their new home. Piles of firewood are my first stop when hunting either bug though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Josiane:
    The tank is still running, I am cycling it (for 2 weeks) with guppys
    +1
    Unlike
  • Josiane:
    Probably too soon, I read it take 6-8 weeks to cycle
    +1
    Unlike
  • Josiane:
    How can I upload a pic?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    hey! Don’t blame it on yourself. It happens. Is this your first axie? I’m a newer owner as well if so (I’ve had mine since Oct). I know how scary it can be
    +1
    Unlike
  • Josiane:
    He's my first yes...
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    if you have the API water test kit, check all the perimeters in the tank. We can check the cycling process with the perimeters. And I’m actually not sure how to upload a pic lololol I thought it would be easier but I tried it myself and now I’m confused! It says to attack a link, I’m not sure how that works
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    Dont beat yourself up over this, your little guy will be ok 😊
    +1
    Unlike
  • Josiane:
    I will do that for sure this afternoon! I really hope he pulls through :( He's so freakin cute
    +1
    Unlike
  • Josiane:
    Thanks for your help :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    You’re so welcome! Keep a close eye on him and try to offer food a couple times a day. Maybe try some pellets too for a different smell, might get him interested. Keep me updated!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Josiane:
    Will do, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Josiane:
    @Paige1warren, turns out my pH was spot on, the test strips I had used were no good. I bought an API kit and the levels are all fine. So not the issue :( I just posted in the forum
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    Hey @Josiane ! I just responded to your post. Your little guy actually looks fairly decent for his size despite not eating well. I think it is stress from the environment
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    Also I forgot to add to my response on ur thread, keep trying to feed him bloodworms and see if he will start to take them. If you get a turkey vaster you can suck up dethawed bloodworms and dangle them right infront of his nose, might get his interest.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Josiane:
    I rotate between blood worms and brine shrimp. He's in my bedroom and will stay there for a while, I closed the light and just left a salt lamp on. I will bring him a hiding place right away! Isn't he the cutest thing! 😂
    +1
    Unlike
  • Josiane:
    Thanks for the reassurance!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    @Josiane An axolotl of your's size should be on a diet of chopped earthworms or live blackworms (if they're under 3"). Bloodworms and brine shrimp are not a sufficient diet.
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    @Josiane Based on the photo, I believe there is a chance your axolotl may have become impacted from ingesting sand. Axolotls under 5" should not be kept on substrate for this reason.
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    @Josiane The nearly diminished gill stalks are also indicative of poor water quality. You need to test your tap water's parameters using a liquid test kit (not strips! Those are inaccurate). The slime coat coming off may also be due to water quality or the water conditioner.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    Hey guys! Could anyone tell me like the span earth worms are good for once cut? I’m wondering if I can prepare worms for days in advance or no? I normally will cut the worm the day I feed it to my axie, but I really hate the cutting and was just wondering if I can do a few at a time so I have them already prepared. Do they lose nutritional value once cut?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lauruven:
    Im not sure to b honest. Id think once dead they aren't good anymore. Also I think0
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    I'd avoid feeding dead earthworms.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    Kk thank you I’ll just suck it up with cutting the worms :D
    +1
    Unlike
  • Genie SynahMoon:
    My Axolotl just laid eggs!!! I have had Axies for years, but this is the first time I got eggs. I know that I can not handle them all because I was not prepared. Is there anyone who would like to buy some? Mother is Golden, Father is Albino
    +1
    Unlike
  • Genie SynahMoon:
    My Axolotl just laid eggs!!! I have had Axies for years, but this is the first time I got eggs. I know that I can not handle them all because I was not prepared. Is there anyone who would like to buy some? Mother is Golden, Father is Albino
    +1
    Unlike
    Genie SynahMoon: My Axolotl just laid eggs!!! I have had Axies for years, but this is the first time I got eggs... +1