Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need Advice on Juvenile Axolotl Feeding!! First time axolotl owner

Ange.a9855

Reaction score
Hey all, So I am very new to the axolotl community and owning an axolotl myself. So last Wednesday I got my guy in the mail, he was shipped here to Ohio from Alaska, it was two day shipping. When he arrived he was great, his movement was good, I tried feeding him the day that I got him but he wasn't so interested. Which I expected because he was more than likely stressed with all the traveling. The following day he did eat about half of a nightcrawler. Pooped the next day and then ate again. I've been trying to get him to eat all this week and every time I feed him , he either eats it or spits it out.(I cut the worms up into very small pieces for him) And he will only eat like one bite ,if that. Right now his movement is good, no floating, he is being tubbed right now with 100% water changes , until his tank is cycled. I check the water temperature frequently and its fine. I don't know if maybe the traveling stressed him out a bit and what not. Overall he seems healthy , its just the eating that im concerned with. Anyone have any advice or information? please. He is about 3 months old , will be 4 months this month and measuring about 4.5 inches. Note that I've tried pellets and blood worms in the mean time , along with the live worms.

Ange.a9855

Reaction score
As long as he .looks healthy - don't worry so much. He'll eat when gets hungry an settles in to his new home. Keep trying him on small live worms. If you haven't seen this page - then I hihgly recommend it for new axolotl owners: Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult Best of luck to you!
Thanks so much for the reply! I'll definitely give it a read. He will eat bloodworms , no problem. But when it comes to the nightcrawler he's not too interested.(also tried red wigglers) I tried mixing the blood worms with the cut up nightcrawler and he only goes for the bloodworms. I'll for sure keep trying the live worms daily, 2 times a day. I just hope he starts taking them soon, fingers crossed! Do u think I should maybe stop the blood worms and only offer the live worms from now on?

Dr. Phil

Reaction score
Blood worms are pretty small and from what I have read, not the most nutritious of foods. Frozen worms also tend to foul the water more quickly. Many of us use live worms. Nightcrawlers tend to be huge, red-wigglers are a bit smaller and may not be as tasty (but that's all mine get!). You can also try them on the sinking pellets used in salmon farming - see elsewhwere on this site.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1