need advice on new tank

debbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to get a new tank for my two axies and maybe get another one, the tank is 121cm long 30cm wide and 45cm tall is this a good size for 3 axies i was just worried that it wouldnt be wide enough if they grow to big they are about 7 inches now and six months old any idea on how big they going to get
thanks, debbie

I think it would be ok. Lots of place to hide in some floating plants.

i want to get a new tank for my two axies and maybe get another one, the tank is 121cm long 30cm wide and 45cm tall is this a good size for 3 axies i was just worried that it wouldnt be wide enough if they grow to big they are about 7 inches now and six months old any idea on how big they going to get
thanks, debbie
also does anyone know what i could keep it on to hold its wait

Debbie a custom made cabinet should do the trick. Barring that, a table with steel legs and a reinforced top would also do the job

thanks, debbie

Axolotls don't get a set size. The largest one on record is 17.5 inches long. I know a guy who has had a few for almost 20 years and they're 15-16 inches. Then there are some that just don't seem to grow much more when they reach about 8-9 inches. They never really stop growing, the growth rate just slows down a lot at about 1-1.5 years of age.

ok i will probly wait a bit before getting a new tank then caus if they could stay the same size then there tank is big enough already thanks for the advice.
debbie

That size tank is a really nice size, as it allows 1) lots of room for your axolotls to spread out, 2) LOTS of room for you to decorate (plants, hiding spots, etc), and 3) it buffers against water chemistry changes (increases in ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, changes in pH, etc).

When in doubt, always go with the bigger tank, if you can. I think big tanks are easier to manage than small ones. And if you decorate it nicely, they make a great display piece.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back