Need help fast!

iplaythebassoon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Long story short. I started my tank cycle about a week and a half before getting my axies and the ammonia levels went from not so great to horrible. I just got home from a gig to find that its at 2.0-4.0 I know this is awful and feel really bad for my little guys. Should I move them to a different location for the night? I have a container with water set up, but am not sure if a sudden change will hurt them or not.

PS. They are eating fine and not floating or anything. I dont see any real change in behavior other than being frisky as hell right now.

-thanks!

I don't think moving them would be a good idea if they seem to be doing ok, but I am new to axolotls. I do think that the tank should have been cycled longer before adding in your axies. But I fear moving them would do them more harm unless it is to a pre cycled tank.

Hi,

the ammonia level is much too high. It can harm your axies even they don´t show any signs of stress or illness at this time.
I would move them into a separate container while your tank is cycling.
You only have to take care that the water temp in the new container is nearly the same like in the tank.

Tina

I agree with Callina. Move them into another container of dechlorinated water . If you cycle a tank with your axolotl in place you must do the daily 20-30% dechlorinated water changes, the ammonia build up can be rapid, especially if food or droppings are left behind while spot cleaning. Would you know what your water temperature is ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back