Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need help trying to identify this little guy

MThompson299

Reaction score
So me and my partner were at petco and bought an axolotl and this salamander or newt that petco claims is also an axolotl and was wondering if anyone could identify him. The picture I attached isn't the best but I had a hard time getting him to stay still no to mention the new tank was a little cloudy from our filter being moved around.

Attachments

• 20140909_075141.jpg
    20140909_075141.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 212

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Might be a larval tiger salamander? Can't really tell from the pic but once it morphs it will need a terristrial setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThompson299

Reaction score
Might be a larval tiger salamander? Can't really tell from the pic but once it morphs it will need a terristrial setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah sorry my phone was giving me issues taking the pictures through the glass. So another question is I have him in with my axolotls, which I assumed would be ok as they were housed together at the pet store..... Should he be moved into a different aquarium separate from the axolotls?

MThompson299

Reaction score
He is a tiger salamander that has already morphed or is close to it. He should definitely be moved. Here is a helpful article: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander
I think we decided we are gonna take him back to petco unfortunately...... We do not have the resources or space for another tank setup just right this moment. I hate the idea of him going back to the pet store, but I also want him to have the opportunity to go to a good home.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Make sure those jackasses don't put him back in water. Tell them to set him up like thy keep Pacman frogs

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!