Need help with deciding captive

jake96

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jake
Hi i have a spare tank that i set up last week. It is a 15 gallon tall and i was wondering what kind of salamander could live in it. I was thinking Aeides but am open to sugestions.The first pic is a top view without the top. The next pic a top view with screen on. THe last pic is a side view
Picture 169.jpg [/ATTACH]

Attachments

rust

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Russ Cormack
I'd be a little concerned about the stability of those stacked rocks. Try bumping then stand really good and see what happens. Also, with screening its really diffucult to maintain a proper humidity level. Just some thoughts.

jake96

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jake
Russ,
Thanks for the advise about the humidity. i mist the enclouser daily, would that be enough? Also the stacked rocks are siliconed together and to the tank bottom.Also the lone standing rock is siliconed to the tank bottom.

rust

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Russ Cormack
I'd cover about 4/5 of the screen with plastics sheeting or cellophane. What type of Aneides were you thinking of? How wide are the cracks in the rocks?

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rock like that are just to dangerous. Hollow tree branches would make a better hide for them. You coulld bury in partially into the soil mix. They will lay their eggs in there if you are lucky. Or a loose pile of bark, the paper thin kind over soil would be good. I have found this to be good without the risk of crush injuries. If you get Aneides lugubris or ferreus rememeber to make a high tank with some sturdy 3 inch round branches as they really like to climb. They have been found on the tops of tree sometimes!!!

jake96

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jake
Thanks for all the advise!! Russ the cracks between the rocks are around 3 Inches high and 7-8 inches. Bill i see what you are saying about the rocks and trust me i would never do anything to endanger a salamander. I have shook the cage many times to test the rocks stability and they didn't move,but thank you for consideration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
    AnimeDan: Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as... +1