Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need help with identification

ZackF

Reaction score
I recently found this guy washed up on my beach (deceased unfortunately).
I'm having a hard time identifying the species. He is a very dark blue colour with maybe some stripes. My best guess is that it is maybe one of the Necturus species of North America. He was found on the South shore of Lake St.Clair (yellow X on map)
Your help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 636
  • lkclair.bmp
    179.1 KB · Views: 216

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely a mudpuppy, Necturus maculosus. This one is an especially big specimen!

They're rarely found in shallow water in the summer, so it probably died (maybe old age, given how big it is), and was nibbled on as it washed into shore.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Thats a big Mudpuppy! Rarely see them that big. In spring it isn't so common to see dead N. maculosus washing ashore or floating by but its not unheard of. Some get fished and killed during ice fishing season then get thrown back and freeze up then thaw out in spring. In spring I do usually see 2-3 dead floating by or washed up if I go out enough. Best thing is seeing them alive especially when they're the size of your forearm!

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
wow, i've never seen one that big. its definitely very cool looking !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!