Needing to perform a large water change

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been diligently performing approximately 1/3 water changes of my tank every day to every other day as well as cleaning up all the poo and food waste every few hours and last night when I checked my water levels I found that my nitrite had spiked high suddenly (I had just checked it two days prior and it was at 0). I cant tell what what shade of dark purple it is because they all they look the same on the API chart but it looked to be around 2ppm but maybe 5. I performed an immediate water change taking out about half the tank water and then 12 hours later I found it was still high so performed another half tank water change. I waited another 12 hours til just now and performed a 1/3 water change because their is still higher level of nitrite.

I am thinking tomorrow afternoon I will need to perform an 80% water change after reading online so took some of the water out of the tank and filled a clean gallon water jug with and stuck it in the freezer to help my poor over working chiller after all these water changes.

My problem is I dont if I have to unplug my filter and chiller to perform such a large change because it will drop the water level below the filter intake.

All my axolotls seem fine. They are all active and eating well, no curled gills or tails or any signs of stress that I can notice.

Just unplug it. But be sure to plug it back in after you're done.

Have you tested for ammonia? There's probably something wrong with your cycle if you're getting high nitrite readings. Or your testkit might be faulty.

Just unplug it. But be sure to plug it back in after you're done.

Have you tested for ammonia? There's probably something wrong with your cycle if you're getting high nitrite readings. Or your testkit might be faulty.

My ammonia was low. My problem is I have a hard time telling the difference between the shades of purple in the bottle and just a couple of days ago all my nitrite readings have been zero.
After the quick small change I did last night it went down to .5 so I am thinking it wasnt as high as I thought it was. I just checked it again and the nitrites are still there so I am going to change the water again.

Im new to axolotls but iv had my fish tanks for a few years now how long do you let your treated water sit before using it to do a water change and how much do you mix up at one time iv found 2 25 gal tubs filled treated and left to sit for preferably 3 day's before using to do a water change works best for me but I have a few big tanks to take care of anyway maby you're changing to much water to quickly and you bio cycle is freaking out just a thought I'm by no means an expert just my 2 cents

What size tank how many occupants any live plants what do you feed them and how often? If u don't mind me asking

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back