Neon Green Glowing Axolotl?

PhxJosh

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw someone on kingsnake selling what appears to be glowing axolotl's? I did a little research online and found these do exist but are hard to find or something?

Do they require any special care? And do they only grow around blacklights?

They seem to be a little more sensitive than normal axolotls. They're called GFP (green fluorescing protein) axolotls. And yes, they only glow in a black light, although some have a greenish tint in normal light.

Just like normal axolotls. You can get the GFP trait in combination with any color type, but the animals are usually albino or leucistic (so that the glow shows up better).

They glow best under a black light, but if you bring them outside, they also appear very green under sunlight. I have a few aquarium lights that make the green more noticeable as well.

I might go for one of these guys, I have a few black lights that I could use.

Anyone have a pic of one under a blacklight? I'd love to see one these are new to me! :eek:

They have also done it to Monkeys.

There was a recent news article (last 6 days) that shows them doing it, and making it trans-genetic and possible to pass the gene onto offspring.

Glow in the dark monkeys for all

Oh Aaron, that sure is news to me. Do you have a link to an article you can send me of the glowing monkeys? This is not performed in Australia is it? I am actually training to specialize in lab animal medicine so transgenic lab animals are of particular interest to me. The closest i have gotten to are transgenic mice models.

Oh Aaron, that sure is news to me. Do you have a link to an article you can send me of the glowing monkeys? This is not performed in Australia is it? I am actually training to specialize in lab animal medicine so transgenic lab animals are of particular interest to me. The closest i have gotten to are transgenic mice models.

Old story i found...
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/1643/andi.html

Then this more recent (29/5/09)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090527215547.htm

Hope that helps out :D

Many thanks for the links. The animal ethics committee of many laboratories and universities are quite stringent with experiments involving transgenic animals, particularly 'higher order' mammals such as primates. (And rightly so) I haven't heard of any transgenic experiments done on primates locally in Australia. The links were a good read.

I just bought a GFP a few weeks ago!
Here are a couple pics... one is under normal light and one under a blacklight.
I also know where you can get them if you are interested.

Attachments

• gfp.jpg
    gfp.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 5,367
  • gfp2.jpg
    gfp2.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 10,226
Those are some wicked pics Abberzoo! I have a couple of wild GFP expressing myself, but they are of the "dark" wild so they don't look anything like that under a black light. Only the spine and up in the base of the skull really glow. Hopefully when they get a bit bigger I can post some better pics...

Yeah those are awesome! My Biology teacher has a pair in our classroom. One is a fully grown albino and the other is a wild blue-ish one. None of us had any idea that they were GFP expressing until he whipped out the blacklight.:D

So not trying to be a buzz kill but what is the point of the flourescent animals? Is it just to make the animal look cooler or does it provide any type of positive genetic traits?

Non at all. If anything i´d suspect them having extra problems due to the genetic ingeniering.
They were created as a lab study, and they have their role in investigation. As far as the commercialized ones, they are nothing but money making aberrations...
Yes they are cool...but personally i prefer the wild type.

They are doing it with rabbits, and are using the jelly fishes glowing gene very odd :happy:
Can someone tell me what a blacklight is?

Thanks
Blaze

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back