Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neurergus crocatus filter questions

Iridophore

Reaction score
What sort of filters would you guys recommend for keeping N. crocatus to maintain a good water quality and current. I'm planning on getting a pair soon and I'm probably gonna keep them in a 10 gallon for now.
Thanks!

Reaction score
I use sponge filters on all my tanks from 10 to 40 gallons. They provide good biological filtration and minimal current. They're cheap and all you have to do is run airline tubing into the tank which doesn't make a large opening for them to escape through. I like the Hydro-Sponge filters by ATI. The pro versions have a more coarse sponge that I think work best and are what I use.

Methos5K

Reaction score
Crocatus appreciate water flow. I do sponge filters for mechanical/biological filtration; and circulation pumps for water current. You can get a 2-pack of them on Amazon for 8 bucks.

David Kurn

Reaction score
What sort of filters would you guys recommend for keeping N. crocatus to maintain a good water quality and current. I'm planning on getting a pair soon and I'm probably gonna keep them in a 10 gallon for now.
Thanks!
I use sponge and the reptofilters by terrafauna in my crocs

Finchop1

Reaction score
David, How much heat does the reptofilter add to the temperature of the tank? This is the only problem (I believe) with using a power filter in a newt tank. Please educate me on this as my N. crocatus currently have an ATI sponge filter with a high rate of flow to create current.

David Kurn

Reaction score
David, How much heat does the reptofilter add to the temperature of the tank? This is the only problem (I believe) with using a power filter in a newt tank. Please educate me on this as my N. crocatus currently have an ATI sponge filter with a high rate of flow to create current.
Not a whole lot. I use a 30 high for 6 adult crocatus with a screen top. So heat can escape. I keep my amphib room at 68 F. The newts often huddle around the filter

Finchop1

Reaction score
Thank you for that information. I think I will try a reptofilter for my crocatus to increase water circulation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!