Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neurergus Ghosteri

RobM

Reaction score
Recently Alan Cann kindly sent me some young N.Kaiseri (thanks once again Alan). They appear to be very talented, while changing the water in their cage today I found a complete skin! I don't ever recall finding any skin from my adults or other newts which makes this quiet a find for me.
The detail is amazing, you can see the fingers, eye holes and even the tiny bumps on the newts skin.

I thought I would share some pictures with you, unfortunately not all detail will be visible to you, but it still looks cool.

Attachments

• DSC023221.jpg
    DSC023221.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC023241.jpg
    DSC023241.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC023411.jpg
    DSC023411.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 391

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nice find! I found sheds from my T. granulosa a lot, and occasionally from T. karelinii. They're always fun to find.

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Interesting, I've never seen this :) I wonder if they normally get eaten?

RobM

Reaction score
Interesting, I've never seen this :) I wonder if they normally get eaten?

Its possible, but if it were out of the water or in several inches of water it would be virtually impossible to find. It is surprisingly tough, but as soon as I took it out the water it clumped together. It only appears like that in the pictures because once I realised what it was I got some tweezers and spread it out. The front legs where inside the body (much like a sleeve pulled inside a jumper), I carefully pulled them out with the tweezers, which gives you some idea of how tough it is. Reminds me or a baby's romper suit, except that the newt had no buttons and had to climb out through the head hole!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I am most certain they are eaten normally too. I have witnessed adults eating them often, juveniles appears to be 50/50. I have witnessed juveniles eating the shed of a different juvenile a few times too.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The norm is definitely for them to eat their shed. In some occasions they might not, for example i´ve seen it happen when an animal is chasing another one that is shedding. In the confussion of the chase the shedding animals looses the skin somewhere behind. However, even then, another newt that happens to encounter the shed might eat it. I have yet to see a terrestrial newt fail to eat its shed.

Nice pics Rob :)

RobM

Reaction score
Thanks everyone :)

Don't think it's worth feeding it to them now, it's a bit dry and slightly brown!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1