Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neurergus Strauchii Strauchii limb regeneration photo documentary

Gradje1

Reaction score
Some frog species actually have some regeneration capacity, although dependent on age of the frog. Humans also have regeneration capacity, for example healing of wounds. I know sharks do have a remarkable trait when it comes to regeneration. They can grow tooth their complete lifespan. Some scientists suggested to implement this mechanism in people without teeth so they can grow back their own teeth. Very cool idea I think.

Gradje1

Reaction score
Day 84 (week 12) post amputation:

This week his toes grew a bit longer and his paw is getting a bit more plump, also his knee is more visible now. Unfortunately from now on I can't make more photo's every week because of a change in my living situation. However I think the most impressive part of the regeneration process is well documented now. I will continue posting photos but not every week.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUOwGpqRCdHpAgihRS/giphy.gif
This link is a gif of the progress so far

schmiggle

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that, although I hope it was a positive change in living situation. This has been an awe-inspiring process to watch unfold, and I'm glad your salamander has (quite literally) made it back on its feet.

Gradje1

Reaction score
Update:

The little newt is happy to have his paw back, and its still growing! His knee joint is now very well developed. Only his toe structures needs to develop completely (and ofcourse his yellow spots!).

off note: I am wondering if everybody can still see my photos in this thread, because i can not. Probably due to the broker server recently

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello,

For me photos will not load anymore, i just see text : "Click the image to open in full size" but after clicking its just stuck on "loading" and thats it... no images.

schmiggle

Reaction score
I also can't open the images, and when I open them in a new tab I get a 404 error. Perhaps upload them to an alternative image host and then post links?

Gradje1

Reaction score
Too bad the photos dont work anymore. I host them from photobucket, and i still can access my account there. The pics are not gone (still have everything saved on my pc though).

Is it possible to edit older posts? if not then i should make another thread.

Gradje1

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

The newt is still going really well, his paw is fully functional just as it was before. His injury happened at 10 november 2017, so that is almost 5 months ago. At this moment even his yellow spots are returning! The toes need to grow a bit longer to resemble his other 3 paws. This stage of development is quite slow, but that is normal. The regeneration process can be compared with the early development of newts. There, it also took about half a year to develop an adult leg.

Attachments

• 7-4-2018.jpg
    7-4-2018.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 644
  • 7-4-2018 (2).JPG
    7-4-2018 (2).JPG
    304 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_5981 (3).jpg
    IMG_5981 (3).jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 532
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!