New at this!

dmelt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!

So I live just outside of the St. Louis area. My in laws have some wooded property 2 hours south of St. Louis. My father in law was telling me how they use to find salamanders when he was a kid. I have two daughters 7 and 6 and it sounded like fun to us. In 45 minutes we found 9 salamanders of 3 different species. Some of the most fun my daughters and I have had! Long story short we love salamanders. My father in law found eggs in a vernal pool and brought me some. Boy I wish I knew what I was getting ready to take on. I kept 5 that hatched. Finding food initially was tough, but I have lots of mosquito larvae now. Unfortunately I only have one left(learned some lessons the hard way). These might be the coolest creatures on the planet. I believe these are spotted salamanders, but I will post those questions in the proper areas. I wish I would of found this site much sooner. Look forward to the help! Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back