Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axie tank set up

KipKip

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new here and will be a new axie parent in a few days just want advice on this set up :) is the filter OK directly behind the plants? Is the wood likely to hurt him/her (have tried to remove any sharp bits or splinters)? will he/she have a enough room? Thanks in advance *I don't know why the pictures are upside down but don't know how to turn them round*

Attachments

• DSC_0175.jpg
    DSC_0175.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC_0173.jpg
    DSC_0173.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC_0172.jpg
    DSC_0172.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 276

LippyNix

Reaction score
We need dimensions or capacity to tell you if it's big enough. Generally, 10 gallons is the minimum size for one adult. The one thing I can say is that the rocks are a concern; I don't think some of them are large enough to avoid being swallowed. Everything needs to be much larger than your axie's head to be safe. I have nothing (excluding the plants) in my tank that isn't more than twice the size of their heads, and most is much larger.

KipKip

Reaction score
Hey thanks for replying :) it's 60cm x 30cm x 30cm so it's over 10 gallons. I know the tank is big enough just didn't want to take up to much space with hides etc. I've done alot of reading etc but nothing compares to actual one to one advice. The rocks are glued together with aquarium sealant so none are individual rocks do you think this would be ok? The rocks are glued to make a hide I didn't know if this was obvious from the photos.

LippyNix

Reaction score
i couldn't tell the rocks were glued together from the photos; I thought they were just stacked on top of each other. If they are secured well, I think you're fine. The tank is big enough and your axie should have plenty of space. If you are concerned with floor space, I would remove the dark hide on the side opposite the rock hide, but I don't think you need to do so. The other thing I would recommend is that you double check the leaves on the plastic plants to make sure they are securely fastened. I've had plastic plants in the past that leaves fell off of eventually. Those an axie definitely can eat, and they'd likely end up with a blockage if they didn't spit the leaves out. Make sure your filtration is up to par and your water parameters stay good, and you'll be fine. :)

KipKip

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your advice ��I have yet to actually cycle the tank the man in the shop sold my partner some conditioner he said would begin the cycle process and we didn't have to do anything else, I have since learned that the stuff he sold us does no such thing ��so now to start cycling and hopefully get my axie in a few weeks ��

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!