New axies

xandert

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dawn T
My very first axies arrive tomorrow! Supposed to be one melanoid and one leucistic. Woohoo!!!!

I've Never Actually Kept These But Find Them Rather Interesting. Axolotls Are Something I admire And will More than Likely Never Keep, But It Appears You Will!

Congradulations!

~Steve

Hi (again) Dawn!

Today's the big day, isn't it? How'd it go?

-Eva

Still waiting. On pins and needles! :D

How exciting! I of course expect a full report! haha

They're here! My friend who coordinated the order found a problem though. She couldn't tell the difference between the melanoid and wild strains due to how faded they were from shipping stress. :wacko: I'm thinking this one I got from her may be wild rather than melanoid, but I'm not sure.

I've attached initial photos. Two of them I took while they were floating in the tank in their shipping bags. I'm still trying to get a decent shot of the leucistic since I released them.

I have NO idea of sexes on these two characters yet. They're about 2.75" long at this point, so bigger than I expected. Not that I'm complaining! I'm glad they're bigger! Easier for me to feed. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5013-ltcr-web.jpg
    IMG_5013-ltcr-web.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5015-ltcr-web.jpg
    IMG_5015-ltcr-web.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5018-ltcr-web.jpg
    IMG_5018-ltcr-web.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 118
Hah! Got the leuc! :D

Attachments

• IMG_5024-ltcr-web.jpg
    IMG_5024-ltcr-web.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 106
Aww they are so sweet! Have you got names ready for them?

I think the dark one is wild colored too because of the yellow (s)he sports..? It's after midnight here so I won't go read the Genetics page to back up my opinion. I just know that mine have no yellow on them anywhere; Lotte is actually black (and beautiful).

But new babies, how exciting! I wish the three of you lots of fun together!

Gratz x they look good enough to eat (joke joke) hope they bring u lots of happiness i know we love ours

I haven't decided on names yet. I'm hoping I can figure out pretty quickly what sex they are, and then I'll come up with names. Unless I get inspired for unisex names like I did with the sun conure that joined the family recently (baby, so sex unknown there, too). I'll get inspired, I'm sure. :cool:

I think the dark one is wild colored too because of the yellow (s)he sports..?

That's what I wondered about. I don't recall the melanoids having the yellow spotty look to them. I thought that was the wild strain. :confused: Either way, I'm happy with them. :happy:

Thanks, everyone! :love:

BTW, these guys are eating today, which I assume is a very good sign. ;) The breeder sent pellet food with them, but I also bought some extra stuff at the pet store today from their freezer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back