Photo: New axolotl, few questions

Monica1016

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone I just got this little girl yesterday, so far she hasn't eaten and barley moves will little gill movement. Is that normal? Also are her gills curled? They've been the same way since I've gotten her.

I've tried feeding her in her tank yesterday and today in a little container, frozen bloodworms and live red worms.

Tank levels are '; gh 0, kh 0, ph between 6-6.5, no2 .5, no3 30

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 205
Moving your axie from one container to another will only stress her even more. She doesn't look too bad, just make sure she has access to food, she will eat when she's ready.

Hello Monica and welcome to the forum.

Do you know what your ammonia levels are? Could you also post your water temperature. What water dechlorinator are you using?
If your Nitrite reading is 0.5 that is too high. With a fully cycled tank both ammonia and nitrite results are expected to be 0.
I have attached a link relating to cycling, just in case.
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
If your tank is not fully cycled then it is worth keeping your axolotl in the small container with 100% water changes daily, whilst you tank completes cycling.
Whatever you do, the tank water is not suitable for your axolotl at the moment, which may be causing the stress.

I hope that this is of some help. I'm still fairly new, so you may want to get some advice from some of the more experienced keepers.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on progress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back