Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl health check please

TrizzyB

Reaction score
Hi all! We’ve had Cooper since the end of December and I’m hoping you experienced owners can give me feed back if he looks healthy. He’s grown about triple in size! But I don’t know if the gills look they way they are supposed to!

Attachments

• 5060E4F1-9254-4CE9-8F6A-7D607D98DA9C.jpeg
    5060E4F1-9254-4CE9-8F6A-7D607D98DA9C.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 159
  • E20F3DE2-21DC-479F-ABC6-02A252BEB2E7.jpeg
    E20F3DE2-21DC-479F-ABC6-02A252BEB2E7.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 2F36AC0B-B4F8-4365-A6A9-781496CE46F7.jpeg
    2F36AC0B-B4F8-4365-A6A9-781496CE46F7.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 98

TrizzyB

Reaction score
One more profile photo

Attachments

• E6FAE810-4240-4366-B66C-EB2BCD79C1BD.jpeg
    E6FAE810-4240-4366-B66C-EB2BCD79C1BD.jpeg
    952.5 KB · Views: 93

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Gills look good but he's throwing them forward, that's a defensive posture. When did you get him and how old is he? Be careful with those stones, if you have any that are too small, he may suck them up. If the stones are entirely too large, even for an adult axolotl, then they're relatively safe.

He eating, your water quality good? Looks healthy, just grumpy.

TrizzyB

Reaction score
Gills look good but he's throwing them forward, that's a defensive posture. When did you get him and how old is he? Be careful with those stones, if you have any that are too small, he may suck them up. If the stones are entirely too large, even for an adult axolotl, then they're relatively safe.

He eating, your water quality good? Looks healthy, just grumpy.
Thanks for the info. I’m not sure the age, we got him at the end of December and he was only about 2” long. We did make sure and use only big rock.
All he wants to do is eat, and water quality had been good. Have a new hose to really suck the bottom at water changes. I take him out for that, maybe that stresses him once a week. Also I turned the filter flow down to make sure it’s not too much current.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
He should eat every day till he's like 6ish-9ish inches long, if my info is correct. Good job on turning the filter current down, they don't like moving water. And yeah, I'm sure he's not used to you yet, in time he will be. He's still VERY much a baby.

Also, get a turkey baster, like a brand new one from the grocery store, use it to suck up poo and left over food. It's SUCH a quality and ease of life tool. You could also get a second one and use it for feeding. Don't mix the two lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1