New Axolotl, is he sick?

LilyAndHabib

Reaction score
Country
United States
So a couple of days ago I bought an axolotl from a lady. (No she was not a breeder) She bought an axolotl and decided she was unable to care for him. Her tank looked gross and everything was nasty when I got him. The first picture is him in a little box when I first picked him up. She told me he was 4 months old...Although I've seen a couple and he doesn't look like it. He is pretty small and skinny doesn't eat much only here and there. The last picture is him today...he seems to have very bright insides...is that normal? Does he look okay?

Attachments

• IMG_9285.jpg
    IMG_9285.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 56956490473__5D051050-55E4-484D-9A3F-F76D0590AEFF.jpg
    56956490473__5D051050-55E4-484D-9A3F-F76D0590AEFF.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_9325.jpg
    IMG_9325.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for saving this little guy.

No, he’s not ok, s/he is severely malnourished. But with some TLC you should be able to bring them back to full health.
First up, I recommend keeping it tubbed for a while so you can monitor food intake and poop output. I would be feeding soft foods such as frozen blood worms, about half a cube twice a day to get it used to eating again. You may need to hold the food in front of his face til he learns how to bite and chew again. As he starts eating more, offer more and then change to a better food type ie worms.

What sort of substrate was it on? Being so little, he could be impacted with sand, I just hope he wasn’t ok gravel.

I think your first course of action should be be getting him to eat again. You may need to force feed if he won’t eat at all.

My advice stems from my own experiences with rescues, it may or may not fit your needs so just keep asking questions if you’re not sure or if its not working.

Good luck, reach out if you need any help!

Last edited:
When I first picked him/her up the lady had him with gravel unfortunately that he would be able to choke on if he ate it... Once I got him I tried bare bottom but he seemed to have difficulty walking so I put it really fine sand that would be safe for him. I’ve been doing my best to feed him everyday twice. Or I try to at least but he will only take a bite or two before he doesn’t want to comply. When you say force feed, how does that work?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back