Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: New axolotl not eating

sians285

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, just wondering what to do about my new wildtype axolotl. I got her (really not sure what sex it is but let's just call it a girl) on Saturday from a breeder who had had not problems with her in the past and said she was a really good eater, usually two or three blocks of frozen bloodworms a day. However, since putting her in with my golden albino (had her around four months) in my 75L tank she hasn't been eating and seems to be losing a lot of weight. It is now Tuesday and I'm getting anxious because my albino, has been eating fine whilst Minstrel, the wildtype, shows no interest whatsoever.
There have been no fights between the two of them, no sign of fungus or bacterial infection and water parameters are within normal ranges.
I would appreciate any help I can get as I have tried her with bloodworms, cockles and earthworms but to no avail. I'm presuming stress from the move at the moment and have discounted impaction as she has never been kept on gravel.

I can post photos, I just really want her to start eating as it's so distressing watching her lose weight and worrying if it's something that I can prevent/fix.

Thanks everybody x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!