Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl sick??

Emsxx

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So basically I’m just looking for abit of advice, I purchased a axolotl from a local pet shop last week, I had already cycled my tank checked all the water levels which was fine even took a sample to the pet shop for them to test which was also fine. Anyway the first day I got the axolotl I’d left him in the bag floating in my tank n gone to work. Around a hour later dad had sent me a video of him in his tank doing fine. It wasn’t until I got home the next day I had noticed he has very small feathery bits on his gills and very little at that, I has also noticed he had half of toe missing on one foot! Now I have been monitoring him since and he’s eating fine, seems settled in the tank, I am making regular water changes removing waste etc and to me he seems happy. I’m just wondering is this something I should be worried about or was he maybe just kept in poor conditions prior to me getting him? I’ve attached some pictures so you guys can have a look at what u mean, thanks in advance E :happy: x

Attachments

• E821DB3F-EB86-44A5-BC80-F5F7DD0C56B7.jpg
    E821DB3F-EB86-44A5-BC80-F5F7DD0C56B7.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 247
  • C455180B-F77B-44B6-90DD-84EB9CE1A000.jpeg
    C455180B-F77B-44B6-90DD-84EB9CE1A000.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 799BAA8D-8487-4131-8A8C-587390AFE09D.jpeg
    799BAA8D-8487-4131-8A8C-587390AFE09D.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 131

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like he wasn't kept in great conditions so his gills have been damaged at some point. He should be OK but he won't get big feathery gills back.

Emsxx

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply John, yeah that’s what I was thinking �� I have ordered him some Indian almond leaves to see if it helps as I read somewhere they do!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply John, yeah that’s what I was thinking �� I have ordered him some Indian almond leaves to see if it helps as I read somewhere they do!

I wouldn't get my hopes up - those don't really do much aside from release tannins into the water which make it more acidic.

kaixingin

Reaction score
Agh oh no~ where are his gill feathers awhh! D; What a darling little face! These little guys can do amazing things when given the right conditions to thrive. Its great youre already cycled and ready to go. Get yourself a freshwater master test kit if you dont already have one for sure! Congrats on your little one :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1