Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl Won't Eat!

paws4eva

Reaction score
Hello!
I brought home a new, adult axolotl about a week ago. He seems very relaxed and energetic but he has not yet eaten anything. I have tried frozen bloodworms, live earthworms, and this weird frozen shrimp-mush 'axolotl food' from my local pet shop. Yesterday, I bought six white clouds, hoping that he would chase and eat them but so far he has ignored them. I have tried waving the food in front of his face, tickling his nose with it, and leaving it in the tank all day/overnight.
The water quality is fine and the temperature is about 17-18 degrees Celsius.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might encourage him to eat?

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
its not uncommon for them to "throw a fit" when they get moved or the tank gets rearranged so maybe thats all this is, if your 'lotl is a healthy size they should be ok going without food for a bit.
im sure those minnows will tempt them once they chill out :)
fingers crossed it works itself out in the next few days

paws4eva

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! My axolotl has now eaten three of the minnows and yesterday he ate an earthworm. Looks like I was worrying over nothing :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!