New axolotl

D

donna

hi my name is donna, im from sunny ol' England
crazy.gif

me and my fiance have recently decided (actually just today!!) we have the tank set up, and will be buying our little friend sometime next week.

problem: we dont know much about these little critters, we've been researching them all day, and will continue to do so, but theres so many questions about them that quite simply the guy at the pet store might nit be able to answer haha. so we've joined this forum in hope that you lovely bunch of people might be able to help!!
smile9.gif

thank you all so very much, hope to hear from any of you!! byebye

Donna (and Steve)

Hello!!

right...we've set up the tank, but then read somewhere that we should use big pebble/rock things to cover the bottom, but then i saw on a picture on this site that someone has put small/medium gravel THEN bigger pebbles over the top, it looked great but im still not sure what size gravel/pebbles to use
dizzy.gif

plus, am i able to have bubbles in the tank, i have a seperate tank with my fish in and i have a bubble thing to oxygenate the water further, does this same method apply to the axie's tank?? i have an information booklet on them and it says they judge things mainly by movement, so wouldnt it go crazy over the bubbles?

that link was great help!! i will show steve when he gets home from work later
happy.gif

thank you very much!! Donna and Steve

Airstone is good to have in a tank, we have one at opposite end of tank from internal filter.

A better alternative would be sand, or very large pieces of slate, or no substrate at all. Sand is very easy to clean, and if swallowed goes straight thru without any problems.

Gravel always gets swallowed, anything smaller than an adult axie head can be swallowed and can block them up. Larger rocks/riverstones as we call them do look good, but can get messy, things slip under between them (we had them in small areas of our tank on top of the sand). So if the riverstones were moved during cleaning and axie managed to swallow the gravel, it could eventually cause problems. Our 3yr olds were still pooing up pebbles (.5-2cm size) 7months on (they have been on sand since Jan, when we acquired them).

I assume as you have a fishtank you will cycle the tank and have the appropriate tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Temperature needs to be kept below 24degrees, no need for a heater (despite what some petshops state!), 18degrees is good, if you can keep it round there! Lower even better, they prefer colder water, but 18-20 is prob. ideal esp. if you are having a heatwave!

right, we shall be off to the store to buy sand as soon as possible!! we have water testing kits and alsorts, due to me having fish in a seperate tank i have a lot of them kind of things, also, where would we be able to find the appropriate water conditioners and treatments?? As most pet stores here dont even know what axolotls are!! *how rude of them!!*
bowl.gif

the axie we're getting is around 7cm in length, does anyone know around how old she is?? its very rare that we get heatwaves in england, but when we do its horrible!! well, the suns ok, but the air is all muggy and stays warm for ages, i was told that we should put a bottle of frozen water into the tank to gradually cool it down for her, is that correct?

how do you clean sand? i can imagine its hard with a syphon as it'd take up the sand and we'd have to keep replacing it all the while?

only 4 days til we get our little friend!! so we need all the information we can get from people who have axies and such creatures alike, as we want to look after it the best we can and make it comfortable
love.gif
thanx again!!

sand is great and very easy to clean/ We use sandpit playsand, which we get from hardware/landscaping stores (they're cheaper than buying at petshop). Best was to clean sand b4 adding to your tank is to put some in pillowcase and run water thru it till sand water runs clear, may take several washes. Our sand height varies between 1-2cm, depending on how much our axies have snuffled round in during the night.

Hidey hole/cave/log/pvc or plastic pipe/container or claypot or pipe, just so they can hide away if need be.

Yes you can still use a siphon, just give it a wee shake and most of it falls back down anyway. When we do a waterchange and if there is any sand residue in the bucket of tank water, we throw out the tank water (gosh our flowers are flourishing!), out and if there is a lot of sand it just gets put back into tank (no hardship really)

Forgot to mention buy a turkey baster if you can! It works great for spot cleaning those poos and uneaten or regurgitated food, saves having to pull out the siphon daily!

Water conditioners/agers/dechlorinators pretty much same as what you buy for your fish, I use stress coat sometimes but we also used another brand aqua something; as long as it removes the chloramine and chlorine from tap water. We don't use any other treatments in our tank since they've been cycled (and we were newcomers to cycling, took a while to get our heads round it but we got there in the end!)

7cm sounds like could be a young one (poss. 2-3months), if you can see their innards (as hubby calls them) insides that's the approx age! The skin is translucent but as it grows and ages the skin becomes more solid (used to be quite cute seeing their organ/s).

At about that young, we fed ours about once or twice a day small amounts. (If you overfeed they will regurgitate their food, not all the time, sometimes they will just look like they've blown up in the stomach from overeating!, they can be gluttons or as others put "opportunistic" feeders).

Some people feed it frozen bloodworm cubes (our local petshop doesn't have them) but we have always fed ours a staple of earthworms (if they're too long you can cut them in pieces); and occasional oxheart or oxliver strips as treats (which are pretty cheap to buy - just cut off the fatty bits). If you don't have access to garden worms then some people buy them from a baitshop. Very easy to start a wormfarm (and cheap) if you buy them this way.

Yes frozen bottles of dechlorinated water (don't use straight tapwater in case bottle bursts it can kill your axie - this happened to aussie axie owner) probably need to keep couple in freezer (don't overfill due to expansion) and rotate as necessary. Also, if you can get a fan or pedestal fan (great as you can change angle and height much easier)and direct airflow to tank water surface that will also help cool it down!

Um, I also forgot to say, welcome to the forum, and sorry for long post!

(Message edited by kapo on August 08, 2006)

wacko.gif
WOW how very informative!!! when you say water cycle, do you mean like a 20% water change weekly?

we bought a spray bar today, but steve still thinks the flow of the filter is too high even though its on its lowest setting, is there a certain level of flow it can be before it starts stressing the axies out? thers so much to take in consideration with them isnt there!? hehe, but its definatly worth it
happy.gif

thankyou so so much for all this info, its so much more better gettin this type of info from someone who knows what theyre talking about!! wen steve bought the spray bar, the people in the pet store didnt know how to fix it the the filter!!! it makes you wonder sometimes...!!

righteo, its bed time for me here... will speak soon, im sure ill have plenty more questions comin ur way!! hehe

love.gif

with your spray bar, what you can do is direct the holes so they sort of face the back wall/glass of the tank, that way the water shoots out and hits the glass before going back into the water,lessening the flow.

ps: most of what we learned, was from helpful members on here and information at www.axolotl.org as well as learning, after much time and patience not to panic every 2 minutes over our axies.

(Message edited by kapo on August 09, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back