new axolotl

kassie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
:eek:my new axie is pregnant, she is kept in her own pond outside in a shadecloth covered area, mainly because of birds , we did have two but one climbed out of the pond and went walkabouts in the garden, needless to say he didn,t survive. paris has a net over her now and very happy eating earth worms infact she wants to eat all the time, how many worms should she eat in one day

Axies how long ago did the other one get out. Why do you think she's pregant? How old/long is she?

pregnant axie

Axies how long ago did the other one get out. Why do you think she's pregant? How old/long is she?

we bought them 2 weeks ago, the black one got out 4 days after we got him, he was very lively and thrashing around a lot. The people we bought them from told us Paris was pregnant and she would lay her eggs on the plant which in turn would become tadpoles, but for me it would be very difficult , to bring them up,shes about 8ins long, dont know how old she is

Ok, Female axies get full of eggs. The male will go arround tank/pond and drop of packets of sperm. she will go around and pick them up. And lay the fertile eggs. I think it take around a week for them to hatch. seeing that the male got out 8 days ago she would of all ready layed the fertile eggs. If she just layed eggs they will not turn into babies. The time line dosent match up. Did you get them from a pet shop?

Sorry , if you are feeding earth worm 1 about every 3 days would be my guess. Can you post a pic .

Thankyou

Ok, Female axies get full of eggs. The male will go arround tank/pond and drop of packets of sperm. she will go around and pick them up. And lay the fertile eggs. I think it take around a week for them to hatch. seeing that the male got out 8 days ago she would of all ready layed the fertile eggs. If she just layed eggs they will not turn into babies. The time line dosent match up. Did you get them from a pet shop?

Thankyou for all that info, looks like we are not having babies after all, yes we did get her from a pet shop. Should we get another male just for company, she's very happy and already knows us she comes up with her head out of the water when we come near

You could if you really wanted. Laying eggs all the time is a stress on the female. But axies are really fine alone if she seems happy leave her. But on the other hand if you just want another you could. They need to be about the same size. And keep them in seprate containers for at least 30 days. In order to make shure the new on is not sick. Most of the pet shops don't know what they are talking about so if you have a question I would ask her first. When I got my first one they told me to keep it in a tropical tank!!!

Paris the axie

I'll leave her be she's quite happy on her own,the pet shop sold me a frozen block of blood worms, I was told to feed her one square a day[about the size of a small postage stamp].......SHE WOULDN'T EAT so thats when we dug up worms washed them well and she has been having 2 A DAY not big fat ones...........ones that are about 3 inches size when stretched out, sounds like too much. will send pics of our setup later,[ we will cut down on the feeding]

I think that would be ok (2 a day). Thows are small the ones I feed are about 6 inches or bigger not streached out. If she is a little under weight it would be ok to feed her more. So yeah some good pic. her and we could tell you more. If you can and would like us to, try to get a good shot of her private part we can try and see if she is really a girl.

Paris

thanks again will try for good pics, must go I have two ponds the other one has huge gold fish some getting on for 12 tears old now, I am going to vacuum it out and pot some waterlilies which I know is going to take me all afternoon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back