New darts

berksmike

Reaction score
Country
England
After a break from keeping darts I couldn't resist much longer and so got started again.
Picked up a trio of juveile D. azureus from the Doncaster Show at the end of the month:

DSC01251.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

DSC01229.jpg

Also have got a breeding group of one of my other favourite species - Epipedobates anthonyi:

DSC01202.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

DSC01260.jpg

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Love the blue poison dart frog, saw some of those at Colchester Zoo this week just gorgeous :D

Star

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Star
I love the blue poison dart as well :) Curious though, do you need a licence for these? Never been sure. Granted, I could check the DWA list.... BUT I am being lazy, very lazy since I have a copy some where lol but figured quicker me asking than locating it!

martasauce

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Wil
Hi berksmike,

I need more photos. Of any, and every, frog you can point a lens at.

At the moment I'm living vicariously through your images.

Regards,

Wil

ltoloxa

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Tepane
Hi berksmike,

I need more photos. Of any, and every, frog you can point a lens at.

At the moment I'm living vicariously through your images.

Regards,

Wil

hi Wil,

are you alowed to import and keep them over in Ozzi ? we're not... :mad:

cheers,
steve

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
MantellaGuy
I love the blue poison dart as well :) Curious though, do you need a licence for these? Never been sure. Granted, I could check the DWA list.... BUT I am being lazy, very lazy since I have a copy some where lol but figured quicker me asking than locating it!

No, they are not a DWA listed species, the entire Dendrobatidae family are in fact not that deadly in captivity as in the wild they would be feeding on prey items that would contain the toxin which they have adapted to convert to their own advantage and seeing as they wouldnt be eating these such as Velvert Ants they wouldnt be toxic. So its perfectly legal, infact they are quite popularly kept in most countries, I have a few species myself such as E.tricolor (Phantasmal Poison Frogs) and Hyloxalus azureiventris (Sky-blue Poison Dart Frogs).

Love the photos! Gorgeous individuals especially the E.anthonyi, noticed that Anthonyi is becoming quite available lately.

I dont think Australia is actually allowed to import anything, not overly sure on that but the most species I see Australians keep is Axolotls.

Last edited:

FoxHound

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great looking frogs! I will be posting a picture thread when I get all my pictures organized. Keep up the good work! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • differencess:
    Daphnia water fleas, mosquito larvae and any larve will do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Ok Thank You. ^-^
    +1
    Unlike
  • Austin Wayneg:
    I just got a tiger salamander and it's not eating
    +1
    Unlike
  • ArpTheAxolotl:
    Congrats. D6
    +1
    Unlike
  • SubZero:
    What are you feeding it
    +2
    Unlike
  • Austin Wayneg:
    Red worms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Try various foods to mimic a natural diet. If your worms are dead, try living things for sure. My newts prefer live food almost exclusively. My eastern newts eat snails, black worms, baby brine and others. They are like picky children. Maybe blood worms are their broccoli lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • rads:
    Hey there guys! My tank is cycled but I'm still battling ammonia spikes just when I get it down to zero. I keep the tank clean and do water changes when needed to lower it. Ammonia is about .25-.5 right now, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate ppm. Not sure why two months in now it's still fluctuating?
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @axolotl nerd, rads, the cycle has crashed or the tank wasnt fully cycled to start with. Remove the animals to a seperate tank or tub, give 100% daily water changes. It can take a while to cycle a tank if its yr first time.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! We had our first unexpected hot day and I was an idiot and forgot to put on the fan for my axolotl tank. When I came to feed her at around 7, I noticed the tank was 75 degrees!! It has never been this warm, it’s always a stable 67ish without a fan. It was only this warm for today (yesterday it was normal temps), and I immeditately got the fan on when I saw. It is down to 69 degrees now. Is my axie going to be ok with the increase in temperature for a day?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Oh that’s in Fahrenheit by the way, I think in Celsius it almost got up to 24 c if I’m not mistaken
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Axie is showing no signs of stress whatsoever
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    A short temp spike is unlikely to cause any long term probs