Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New darts

berksmike

Reaction score
After a break from keeping darts I couldn't resist much longer and so got started again.
Picked up a trio of juveile D. azureus from the Doncaster Show at the end of the month:

DSC01251.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

DSC01229.jpg

Also have got a breeding group of one of my other favourite species - Epipedobates anthonyi:

DSC01202.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

DSC01260.jpg

zoezakella

Reaction score
Love the blue poison dart frog, saw some of those at Colchester Zoo this week just gorgeous :D

Star

Reaction score
I love the blue poison dart as well :) Curious though, do you need a licence for these? Never been sure. Granted, I could check the DWA list.... BUT I am being lazy, very lazy since I have a copy some where lol but figured quicker me asking than locating it!

martasauce

Reaction score
Hi berksmike,

I need more photos. Of any, and every, frog you can point a lens at.

At the moment I'm living vicariously through your images.

Regards,

Wil

ltoloxa

Reaction score
Hi berksmike,

I need more photos. Of any, and every, frog you can point a lens at.

At the moment I'm living vicariously through your images.

Regards,

Wil

hi Wil,

are you alowed to import and keep them over in Ozzi ? we're not... :mad:

cheers,
steve

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
I love the blue poison dart as well :) Curious though, do you need a licence for these? Never been sure. Granted, I could check the DWA list.... BUT I am being lazy, very lazy since I have a copy some where lol but figured quicker me asking than locating it!

No, they are not a DWA listed species, the entire Dendrobatidae family are in fact not that deadly in captivity as in the wild they would be feeding on prey items that would contain the toxin which they have adapted to convert to their own advantage and seeing as they wouldnt be eating these such as Velvert Ants they wouldnt be toxic. So its perfectly legal, infact they are quite popularly kept in most countries, I have a few species myself such as E.tricolor (Phantasmal Poison Frogs) and Hyloxalus azureiventris (Sky-blue Poison Dart Frogs).

Love the photos! Gorgeous individuals especially the E.anthonyi, noticed that Anthonyi is becoming quite available lately.

I dont think Australia is actually allowed to import anything, not overly sure on that but the most species I see Australians keep is Axolotls.

Last edited:

FoxHound

Reaction score
Great looking frogs! I will be posting a picture thread when I get all my pictures organized. Keep up the good work! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1