Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New owner to two sister axolotls

Hross

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Hailey, I recently got 2 axolotls, 2 females, one domestic and one wild, both are sisters, and I've been trying to get their tank to where they are not stressed out in their new home, I love knowing different facts and tips so if anyone who has owned axolotls would be willing to help me understand my two little babies (Who are at least under a year, someone else owned them before me) I would greatly appreciate any help i can get. I've been putting ice packs in their water to cool it down, and I feed them every other day, and change the water out once a week, I want to do the right thing and make sure I'm giving them the best life they can get. I hope you are all patient with me when I ask numerous questions and I'm very happy to become apart of the axolotl community :)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Hi! Welcome!
What temperature does the tank like to sit at without the ice blocks? A better thing to do is to get an aquarium fan and attach it to the tank. It will drop the temperature a few degrees and depending on where you live this may be perfect.
Post some pics if you can, I'd love to see them! What are you feeding them at the moment?
How much water are you changing per week?
One thing I would suggest if you haven't already is to get a master test kit (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) so you can keep the tank healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!