New person from VT.

SweetApples

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found your site in a search. To make a long story short here, I'm a longtime fish-keeper who has decided to phase out most of my fish-keeping in favor of herps.
I was deciding which herp to keep thinking a frog would be my first choice, then I pondered salamanders and then I had a lot of fun holding a lizard at Petco, so I started thinking of lizards.

In the meantime, some possible baby salamanders have been found in my parents half filled mini pond. I would like to catch and take them all out because my father has a history of draining the pond with buckets and does not care about whatever critters are in there, they get dumped on the ground to die. So maybe a critter choose me instead of me choosing a critter?. Because of this, I want to move these critters somewhere safer, whether I can keep them in my tank or not.

The critters look like tadpoles with front legs and branched gills. I think they are the common brown salamanders that are native to this area, but really I have no idea. They could be any native salamander species for all I know. I'm going to post in the section with the north American salamanders for their care and see what I get.

Welcome to the forum! Maybe you can convince your father to wait until after they have morphed to drain the pond.

ooo mysteries are always exciting! I would go out and grab a fish tank, and raise them no matter what just to see what they are :) … although on second thought you prob won't b able to sell them bc they're native..

ooo mysteries are always exciting! I would go out and grab a fish tank, and raise them no matter what just to see what they are :) … although on second thought you prob won't b able to sell them bc they're native..

Hopefully we'll find out what they are soon. My parents came back from vacation yesterday so I came over to catch some of them in a bucket to transfer to a tank at my place.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back