New salamander/newt obssesion

10fenny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well ive had axols for some years now. i keep seeing newt posts and started reading some. now its almost a need. ive kept various other reptiles.. rodents.. fish. cats dogs seamonkeys chickens (moms when i was a kid). so im very confident in my care skills and adaption to something new. i love the look of a terrarium. anyways on to my questions. i love the look of the danube crested newt. anyone had any? hard to get? where should i look for terrarium setups? i live in oregon. hmm i had more questions when i started this post but cant remember now. thats ok this is a good start

I would start off by reading anything and everything you can find about the species you are interested in. As well as husbandry info I always try to find out as much as I can about the habitat in the wild where my herps come from as this helps when designing enclosures no end. In addition to the wealth of information over on Caudata Culture, it might be worth reading several pages of this help section so you can see the common problems that crop up time and again so you can hopefully avoid them yourself! Also use the search function, there's literally decades of of experience and knowledge on here so there's no need to make major errors with most species, someone somewhere will have already made and posted questions about them somewhere on these forums!

Well the more i read the more i realize i need to read alot more. Most of the newts and sallys ive been lookin at are either nfs in the states or extremly hard to come by.. so ill keep looking. I want something that can have lots of fun in and out of the water

I can't really think of a newt or salamander that spends time in water and on land unless its a newt that periodically switches seasonally, or if it has an eft stage. Some others might be able to think of something. Some aquatic species that are pretty simple to take care of are Captive Bred Hypselotriton orientalis/Chinese Firebelly Newts, Cynops pyrrohgaster/Japanese Firebelly Newt, Pleurodeles waltl/Spanish Ribbed Newt, and you said you've already had Axolotls. Or something terrestrial like Ambystoma tigrinum or mavortium/Tiger Salamander, Ambystoma opacum/Marbled Salamander, Crocodile Newts, etc. But make sure whatever you get it legal to own where you are.

The first thing I read whenever i get something new are the caresheets here:
Caudata Culture Caresheets

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back