New salamander owner

Salamandad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I am a new salamander owner. I brought some larva/efts (?) home from my dad's ponds when we were cleaning them. I gave a friend three and I have three. They have metamorphosed into terrestrial salamanders. I think they are either Tiger salamanders or perhaps and hopefully Blotched Tigers. I live in Wyoming at 6,800 feet on a high plains desert, and these are natives. It has been a fun ride thus far watching them grow and transform. And I can't wait to see what other curiosities will be following.

This seems like a great place for lovers of the not so cute and cuddly pets. Really glad that I have found this site and am anxious to explore more. Thanks for having me and reading this.

Ian

Salamander Dali in water dish while setting up their tank.
20150813_173953_zpsp0hvwxtz.jpg

Their salamandarium.
DSC_0005_zps9xd0mrjs.jpg

I'm thinking those could very well be blotched. And that's a great set up by the way.

Thank you for the comments. I thought I would get a notification of responses. I will have to check my settings.

Neotenic Jaymes, Thank you. I try to make a good home for them. I think one has a little bigger responsibility when you take things from the wild, to make the best place you can for them.

otterwoman, My friends don't think they are cute and cuddly, especially when I send them pictures of worm pieces hanging out of their mouths. ha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back