Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New set up for my larvae!

iSuzie

Reaction score
So after having containers covering my kitchen bench for over a month I have decided to do something about it to make things more efficient!
I have set up a nice shelve to house all my baby's, set up in my spare bedroom.
Its the best room for axolotls because its the coolest room in my house and is the darkest room also.
I keep buckets of pre treated water on a table next to my new set up to make water changes easy.
Our system is to pre set up new tubs of water before the nightly water change. And now we will have more space to set them up on the table next to the new shelve. So now it should be easier to do water changes every night! :D

{Picture taken with curtains open for lighting}

Attachments

• P041011_1443[01].jpg
    P041011_1443[01].jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,093

lea

Reaction score
Love it. I think I will do something like that as well. My babies are starting to chomp each others legs....bad babies:(.

iSuzie

Reaction score
Lol i'm loving it! it looks great too now when I show people my baby's I wont feel like its weird to have them all over my kitchen!! haha! I feel more professional lmao!

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
Lol i'm loving it! it looks great too now when I show people my baby's I wont feel like its weird to have them all over my kitchen!! haha! I feel more professional lmao!

HAHAHA totally sounds like me... and I had rescues in tubs all over my bathroom counter. My friend was like "uuuhhhhh you really like the axolotls huh?" :p

That shelf looks awesome!

iSuzie

Reaction score
Lol yeah! Thanks!! I have 2 rescued ones in a tub in the same room one is ready to be re homed xD so im going to start to try to re home him soon! I have managed to organise homes for 100 of my baby's already! and i have more people still inquiring but i want to keep the other 50 to watch them grow a little bigger before selling them. So im sure as soon as I advertise he will be homed!

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
Awesome! 2 of my rescues are ready for rehome too, i'll be sad to see them go. I'll have no one to mumble to while I brush my teeth in the morning lol.

iSuzie

Reaction score
Correction.. Just sold 150 of them! done a second count and I have 180 haha! So im keeping about 30 to raise xD

Axie23

Reaction score
this might not be your thing, but have you thought about using water ager? i know you have a perfectly good system going, but the ager would make everything easier? :) that's just my thoughts, anyway.

iSuzie

Reaction score
I do use water ager lol. I set the water in buckets to ensure that its the exact same temperature for the changes. I also have to set up the ph levels as well as some of my larvae came from egg's from a different town with different ph levels in their tap water and the breeder never corrected it. I have asked around and couldn't find a safe way to get them used to such a big ph changes so I'm leaving them in the same ph levels they are used to, meaning i have to make up different water types daily. I'm going to slowly introduce them to a slight change soon over the next to weeks before homing this particular lot of 30 larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1