Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New silverstoni thread

I

ira

well to continue our discussion from the other form:

Just out of curiousity what temperatures did you keep them at? Everything i have ever read about them said they prefered more caudate like temps, in the mid 60s-low 70s. Its interesting to know that they dont like to be moved very much, Do you think that is just once they become adults and get set in their ways or do you think that applies to juvies too?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain about them, this is a speices i am planning on attempting some day (proablly in a few years when my life and living situation are more stable, i just got out of college a year ago and am still sort of in that post graduation free fall). I want to get as much information on them as possible before i even consider tracking down a colony.

E

edward

Hi Ira,
I kept them between 72-76F. I had the males beginning to call and set up territories when we had to take the system down for a cobra display.

We only had one loss until after the frogs were adults.

They appear to be a species that does well under different conditions used by different breeders.

Ed

justin

Reaction score
Friends of mine found them on a recent trip to the Sira. They were living in a bamboo forest. If they are like other Dendrobatids I've seen in similar habitats, I'm guessing the day temp gets higher, but nights are colder. We saw E. parvulus on an Atelopus trip, and at night it was very cold (I had on 3 wool blankets and had difficulty sleeping). During the day though, it was quite warm (when not raining).
j

justin

Reaction score
Not this trip. They did find some new Epipedobate species though. I believe we are all going back in late November or early December to look again. Evidently the GPS data were way off from the original type specimen information. I think Evan and Rainer are going as well, so we should have some more people and have a better chance of finding them. It's just you can't go in the wet season (when it's more probable to find them) because it's impossible to get through and it's very dangerous, so the drier season will have to do.
j

justin

Reaction score
This is an old thread, but I just got back a few days ago from a trip where we found E. silverstonei in the wild. The day temperatures were around 18 C in the forest when we found them, the open sun is around 24 C on roads/trails. Night time temperatures are around 14 C in the zone. The frogs were very difficult to find due to lack of rain for about a week before we got there, but the area is a montaine cloud forest overall. As Ira mentioned with stress, when photographing them they would stress fairly easily, but then return to natural activity immediately upon release. I am writing an article now on them, so I do not want to give much more info out before that. I will have plenty of photographs in the article and on my site in the near future. After that site I went on and found many other interesting species, as well as some new ones. I just wanted to touch upon this as I was looking at old threads.
j

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!