New T. macedonicus group

otolith

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently got this 2.2 group of Triturus macedonicus and since they are few and far between I thought I'd share my experiences with them so far. They are currently kept aquatic in a 40 gallon tank, water temp is 65F. They were cooled to the low 40s but the males never came into breeding condition. The females are huge and have laid a few dud eggs but I am thinking a terrestrial period is important for breeding conditioning. They will be going into a terrestrial set up in the next few months. Here are a few pictures while they are still super photogenic :)

Attachments

• IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 418

otolith

Reaction score
Country
United States
The males have been furiously courting the ladies for the past month so I figured I'd share a few pictures. They crested up pretty much out of nowhere, the tank temp might have increased a few degrees. I've watched the males drop numerous spermatophores without any interest from either of the females so I am not too hopeful about eggs this season. You never know though, my Alpine group just started laying and everything else has been done for months. Each breeding season brings its own surprises.

Attachments

• IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_2159.jpg
    IMG_2159.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 299

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
AW: New T. macedonicus group

Thanks for sharing. Your Triturus macedonicus look great. In contrast to most of the other Triturus species they appear heavy bodied and less slender. I really like them. :happy:
Do you have any information about the locality of your newts?
How are they doing now?

Best regards,

Jens

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • madcaplaughs:
    @MadamePirateOwl Fridging is best left to life-or-death situations, and salt baths are unnecessarily harsh, stressful, and abrasive. I'd suggest doing tea baths instead (using caffeinated black tea, where the only ingredient is black tea).
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    so no idea what the goop is?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    Hard to tell without a photo, but might be algae or fungus floating. Water changes will take care of that.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    It definitely came from the axolotl. Looked to be mixed into poo the first time. Can I post the photos here?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Im not actually sure how i would post it. It seems to want a link
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Its fairly thick and chunky
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    (Also thanks for your patience and help!)
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    You could always upload the photo to imgur and link it back here
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    The second image was how it looked the first time, it was mixed with some other poop like stuff. after that its been small and without the poopy stuff
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    The second photo looks reminiscent of partially-digested worms, though I've never seen anything like that. Have you checked your parameters lately?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Right now theyre in smaller tubs that i do daily water changes in
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    I'll admit Ive bought test strips but they havent come in yet
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    I use Prime to dechlorinate the water, which was recommend by the girl I got them from
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    For now I'd tub the axolotl and do daily 100% water changes until you're able to test your parameters
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    I'd also recommend ordering a liquid test kit such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit since strips are generally unreliable and inaccurate.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Okay, thank you for your help and advice :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • k.em:
    anybody growing tylototriton?
    +2
    Unlike
  • pixxie:
    +1
    Unlike
  • pixxie:
    hi I’m looking for some insight, it would really help if you could check out what I have written^
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mbnavy98:
    Hey so does anyone ever update this site. I mean the photo contest from 2012..
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mbnavy98:
    Wait in finding newer posts in different forums
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Mbnavy98 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chelsea smith:
    Hello! Anyone there right now by chance? I have a couple questions about plants in an axolotl tank.
    +2
    Unlike
    Chelsea smith: Hello! Anyone there right now by chance? I have a couple questions about plants in an axolotl tank. +2