Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

new tank + axolotl: ammonia levels not going down

stinkbug

Reaction score
currently in the tank:
15 gallons tapwater
seachem prime, safe, stability
nutrafin waste control
2 goldfish
1 tiny snail
3-4 tiny guppies
1 5-inch axolotl
1-2 ghost shrimp
some kind of sponge filter/bubbler

I'm using the API (liquid) test kit. The rescue assured me that starting the tank the same day I received the axo would be fine, as "our tanks come pre-cycled"

Adding 15 gallons (hard) tap water to the tank and the directed amount of Seachem Prime, all levels tested normal except for ammonia, which was at 0.25 ppm BEFORE critters were even introduced. I let the filter/water go for 5 hours before re-testing and got the same results.

I had the lids off of the travel containers for air but the little guys kept jumping out so I ended up setting them loose in the tank after floating for an hour. I did not know the rescue would be sending the goldies (which I know produce a lot of waste) so it was a surprise.

Today, Seachem Safe + Stability arrived along with the Nutrafin Waste control. I was a bit worried about adding too many chemicals to the water at once so I added them one at a time, an hour apart.

Now the levels are at about 0.5 ammonia, pH 7.6, nitrites/nitrates 0.

The goldfish seem very normal/active and are happy to eat.

Axolotl has very small gills but they do not appear to be curled forward. His tail is not curly. No colour changes or abrasions He did not want a worm this morning, and I have not watched him eat any of the 4-5 pellets I dropped in the tank but the goldies had a nibble.

I apologize for the length of this post but I figured the more details, the better.

With all that said:
- I am planning on doing a water change tomorrow morning, and using a siphon to clean up whatever I can. Should I stick to 25% change or go higher?

- How do I fix this? What am I missing? What do I do?

TIA - I really appreciate it

Attachments

• PXL_20210225_132225975.LS.mp4
    5.8 MB · Views: 0

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
currently in the tank:
15 gallons tapwater
seachem prime, safe, stability
nutrafin waste control
2 goldfish
1 tiny snail
3-4 tiny guppies
1 5-inch axolotl
1-2 ghost shrimp
some kind of sponge filter/bubbler

I'm using the API (liquid) test kit. The rescue assured me that starting the tank the same day I received the axo would be fine, as "our tanks come pre-cycled"

Adding 15 gallons (hard) tap water to the tank and the directed amount of Seachem Prime, all levels tested normal except for ammonia, which was at 0.25 ppm BEFORE critters were even introduced. I let the filter/water go for 5 hours before re-testing and got the same results.

I had the lids off of the travel containers for air but the little guys kept jumping out so I ended up setting them loose in the tank after floating for an hour. I did not know the rescue would be sending the goldies (which I know produce a lot of waste) so it was a surprise.

Today, Seachem Safe + Stability arrived along with the Nutrafin Waste control. I was a bit worried about adding too many chemicals to the water at once so I added them one at a time, an hour apart.

Now the levels are at about 0.5 ammonia, pH 7.6, nitrites/nitrates 0.

The goldfish seem very normal/active and are happy to eat.

Axolotl has very small gills but they do not appear to be curled forward. His tail is not curly. No colour changes or abrasions He did not want a worm this morning, and I have not watched him eat any of the 4-5 pellets I dropped in the tank but the goldies had a nibble.

I apologize for the length of this post but I figured the more details, the better.

With all that said:
- I am planning on doing a water change tomorrow morning, and using a siphon to clean up whatever I can. Should I stick to 25% change or go higher?

- How do I fix this? What am I missing? What do I do?

TIA - I really appreciate it
Thank you for all the details, it really does help get a clear picture so we can assist better.
OK so a few things here -
1) Remove the goldfish. Put them in their own tank or rehome them. Goldfish alone require 5 gallons per inch (ex. if you gave two 1-in goldfish, they need 10 gallons). They produce A LOT of waste on their own, let alone combining that with an axolotl. I wouldnt even keep goldfish in a 55 gallon with an axolotl. Generally speaking, axololts should not be kept with fish because their gills will get nipped at. Guppies are kind of the one exception, but most of the time axolotl tanks are a little too cold.
2) Axolotls require a bare minimum of 20 gallons by themselves. 20 gallon long tanks are the most commonly used tank as the length and width of the tank are more important than the height. a 40 breeder tank is even better.
3) tanks cant be "pre-cycled". it doesnt work that way. You can have "live sand", or a used filter or filter media that has established bacteria colonies that will give you a jump start. As soon as any of those things dry out though, all of that bacteria is gone. So I'm not sure what they meant by that claim, but the presence of ammonia suggests a non-cycled system. Sponge filters are fine and do offer good biological and mechanical filtration as long as they are maintained properly, but there is zero chemical filtration to them. A HOB (hang on back) filter may be a good investment to give you better filtration. I use a combo of canister filters and sponges.
4) .5 ppm ammonia and above is highly toxic. 25% is not going to be enough. I would remove the axolotl from the tank and keep him in a tub with fresh cold water and do at least a 50% change. the problem is that if you have ammonia in your tap water, you're going to change ammonia filled water with ammonia filled water. it's kind of counter-intuitive. you may need to find a new source of water until you tank is established to the point that it can convert large amounts of ammonia in a 24 hour period so the brief influx won't linger.

stinkbug

Reaction score
Thank you for all the details, it really does help get a clear picture so we can assist better.
OK so a few things here -
1) Remove the goldfish. Put them in their own tank or rehome them. Goldfish alone require 5 gallons per inch (ex. if you gave two 1-in goldfish, they need 10 gallons). They produce A LOT of waste on their own, let alone combining that with an axolotl. I wouldnt even keep goldfish in a 55 gallon with an axolotl. Generally speaking, axololts should not be kept with fish because their gills will get nipped at. Guppies are kind of the one exception, but most of the time axolotl tanks are a little too cold.
2) Axolotls require a bare minimum of 20 gallons by themselves. 20 gallon long tanks are the most commonly used tank as the length and width of the tank are more important than the height. a 40 breeder tank is even better.
3) tanks cant be "pre-cycled". it doesnt work that way. You can have "live sand", or a used filter or filter media that has established bacteria colonies that will give you a jump start. As soon as any of those things dry out though, all of that bacteria is gone. So I'm not sure what they meant by that claim, but the presence of ammonia suggests a non-cycled system. Sponge filters are fine and do offer good biological and mechanical filtration as long as they are maintained properly, but there is zero chemical filtration to them. A HOB (hang on back) filter may be a good investment to give you better filtration. I use a combo of canister filters and sponges.
4) .5 ppm ammonia and above is highly toxic. 25% is not going to be enough. I would remove the axolotl from the tank and keep him in a tub with fresh cold water and do at least a 50% change. the problem is that if you have ammonia in your tap water, you're going to change ammonia filled water with ammonia filled water. it's kind of counter-intuitive. you may need to find a new source of water until you tank is established to the point that it can convert large amounts of ammonia in a 24 hour period so the brief influx won't linger.
thank you for your reply! things that have happened in this time:

- I rehomed the goldfish
- found out that there are SEVERAL people out (google/YouTube for example) there using the same kit who can never get it to read as 0 ppm... have ordered a separate ammonia tester at this point but for the time being I am reading 0.25 as 0, 0.5 as 0.25, etc and changing the water with reference to that.
- I am in talks with API about the above.
- was able to obtain plants, rocks, and sand from another established aquarium which has really helped! the levels have remained good for the past two days.
- the rescue was not a real rescue. they were probably the reason he currently doesn't have limbs in the first place.
- he is very active and eating well at the moment. I will continue to monitor levels and adjust as needed.
- will be on the lookout for another tank with a larger surface area vs a technically larger but mostly taller tank (which is most of what I'm seeing now)

many thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210227_233913262.jpg
    PXL_20210227_233913262.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 158
  • PXL_20210301_145942548.jpg
    PXL_20210301_145942548.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 140
  • PXL_20210228_213432674.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210228_213432674.PORTRAIT.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 120

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
thank you for your reply! things that have happened in this time:

- I rehomed the goldfish
- found out that there are SEVERAL people out (google/YouTube for example) there using the same kit who can never get it to read as 0 ppm... have ordered a separate ammonia tester at this point but for the time being I am reading 0.25 as 0, 0.5 as 0.25, etc and changing the water with reference to that.
- I am in talks with API about the above.
- was able to obtain plants, rocks, and sand from another established aquarium which has really helped! the levels have remained good for the past two days.
- the rescue was not a real rescue. they were probably the reason he currently doesn't have limbs in the first place.
- he is very active and eating well at the moment. I will continue to monitor levels and adjust as needed.
- will be on the lookout for another tank with a larger surface area vs a technically larger but mostly taller tank (which is most of what I'm seeing now)

many thanks!
So glad to hear you got rid of the goldfish. I've never had an issue with the API master kit myself and I've owned many over the years so that is definitely interesting. I'd be interested to know what they say about it. The plants will definitely help keep your tank stabilized. Marimo moss balls are one of my favorites because they are easy to care for and axolotls love them.

Im glad he is doing well and eating well. Hopefully his limbs will grow back, but if he's been repeatedly bitten or had the legs removed on purpose (I shudder to think), they may never be quite "normal". I have a female that had an extra foot when i get her and I just think it give her more character. She's a feisty little thing.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things and making proper adjustments so that is good!

stinkbug

Reaction score
So glad to hear you got rid of the goldfish. I've never had an issue with the API master kit myself and I've owned many over the years so that is definitely interesting. I'd be interested to know what they say about it. The plants will definitely help keep your tank stabilized. Marimo moss balls are one of my favorites because they are easy to care for and axolotls love them.

Im glad he is doing well and eating well. Hopefully his limbs will grow back, but if he's been repeatedly bitten or had the legs removed on purpose (I shudder to think), they may never be quite "normal". I have a female that had an extra foot when i get her and I just think it give her more character. She's a feisty little thing.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things and making proper adjustments so that is good!

I'll update this thread once they've responded..... but also.... an EXTRA foot??????

PICTURES!!!! please

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1